How do I "move" my forum?

Started by Ron., September 18, 2014, 04:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron.

I don't know what they were doing. One techie said the database was empty and she repopulated it (??!!). Another said that there were version mixups. At one point I saw that there were two different IP addresses in the GoDaddy customer interface. One techie said to change one to something else, another said I should put it back. This went on for almost a week, for three or four hours a day on the phone. At this point I am totally exhausted and bewildered.

My question: if I download the latest version as an upgrade and run it as such, do you think it will sort all of this out?

margarett

Most likely not, I'm affraid. Did they populate the DB? With what?
Do you have your own backup before of all this? Or, can you check if your content is all in place? (topics, posts, members...)

Time to find a better host, methinks.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ron.

The DB backup I have is a month or so old. Users, topics, etc. all seem okay. But, you cannot link to any of the attachments (and, as a music site, this is rather important)...and all icons and themes are missing.

Again, I don't know what the support people were doing.

margarett

Care to PM me your cPanel login details? And a forum admin account?
The database its the only thing you really need to keep really safe (that, and your attachments, so it seems ;) )
Everything else can be rebuilt: themes, MODs, etc ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ron.

It occurred to me while I was playing Bridge tonight that I do have a copy of the DB as it existed last week when everything went south. I am now convinced that the GoDaddy techie restored an old backup that was laying around. That would explain why so much went wonky.

I gave the users warning that I will restore the DB tomorrow, because I am not sure if this will lock us out again and make the site unreachable. Besides it is 11:00 pm and I'm tired--and I don't want to make a stupid mistake.

If this does not work and I am still able to access the forum I will set up an administrator account for you and take you up on your generous offer.

Sir Osis of Liver

Just having a look round, and your forum seems to be mostly working.  You're running the YaBB theme, possibly the 1.1.1x version, and it's having problems, but default Curve works fine, and you're at 2.0.7.  Missing some avatars, and haven't found any attachments, but otherwise there are posts through Sept.  Have you restored the recent db backup?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ron.

Yes, I just restored the DB backup I took when things started going wrong last week--and it seems to be working okay. At least I can log in and read posts.

BUT, the appearance is all wrong; it still says version 1.1.13 in the header. Attachments and avatars can't be found.

I just changed the theme and the forum did not crash like last time, so that is a good sign.

I'm going to attempt to change the attachments path. Fingers crossed that I don't crash everything.

kat

If you switch the the SMF default theme, everything looks hoopy, for me. :)

http://www.composeforums.com/index.php?theme=1

Sir Osis of Liver

The bit that shows 1.1.13 up top is a news item, not the current version.  You're running 2.0.7 as shown in the footer.  For reasons unknown, you appear to be using 1.1.1x version of YaBB, which will not work properly in 2.0.x.  Switch to default Curve until you sort out your other problems, then reinstall the 2.0 version of whichever theme you want to use.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ron.

Thank you, everyone, for all the helpful advice. The forum is now up and functioning. It took some off-line help from "margarett." As I said to Bruno, this software has proved to be enormously stable. If it weren't for the intervention of GoDaddy and their botched attempt to "improve" performance (which was never an issue to begin with), I am certain we would never have run into any issues.

The thing about its stability though is that I have never had to look at the scripts in the 5-6 years the forum has been up with SMF, so when things did go wrong, I was at a complete loss.

A bit of history: this forum has existed for almost 12 years and has proven very effective at encouraging and teaching young composers of "art" music (which many mistakenly call "classical"). I moved it to SMF because it offered more flexibility and stability than the previous software package.

Again, thank to everyone. I think we can now close this thread.

kat

Phew...

Brilliant work, Bruno, as always!

margarett

Arantor

True though. You do indeed rock.

margarett

Arantor

It's no more and no less than the truth.

Advertisement: