News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Forums [Can I have some help?]

Started by Godly Antlers, September 18, 2014, 11:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godly Antlers

First off, I'd like to apologise if this is in the wrong section. I am new to this forums and I joined as I am having some trouble.

So the forum's were working perfectly, I added some member ranks, new forum's skin and a logo. It was working perfectly for a few hours and nothing was changed during this session. Then all of a sudden I can't get online - neither can some of my friends. We can only get on using a different IP than our own and we're not even IP banned as I'm administrator and can check the bans.

I've tried using different skins and everything, nothing changed what I was doing and I tried resetting forums ect and that. None of that work. Can anyone give me a heads up on what's wrong?

Even though I can login now, what caused this and what should I do if it happens again? :) Thanks!
I could never find "line 478" of coding either.

Here's the error I am getting:

Apply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL
------------------------------------- (URL was here)
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Undefined index: sh_remove_items
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /home/HIDDEN (URL was here, removed)/public_html/forums/Themes/BlueShame/BoardIndex.template.php (body_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 478

Ninja ZX-10RR

First off...

Your title doesn't say anything and as a result of this most people will tend to skip topics like these, including team members.
Again, no forum URL (you deliberately removed it!!!) and no SMF version either...

The login problem should have returned something in the error log but since you didn't provide any other errors other than the theme one I can't tell you anything about it. The way you said (with no errors) is just impossible.

As regards the error Forum » Administration Center » Server Settings » General and disable the Evaluation of templates, then post the error that will pop out after doing it. If it will be again related to your theme then you should post it in the theme support topic to receive further assistance because we can't know how each theme was coded... ;)

What do you mean that you couldn't find "line 478" anyway...

Can't really be happy for this post :/ sorry if I looked a bit harsh but... Well I hope that I don't need to explain it... Nothing personal anyway :) I'll have your topic moved to the correct section anyway ;)

Edited, so now it doesn't say anything personal at all.  Let's keep it that way please :).  Iris.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Chalky

Well that was one hell of a welcome  :o

Godly Antlers, have you tried speaking to your host?  If the problem came from nowhere and then appeared to resolve itself without any action from you, that rather suggests your host may have been doing something that day.

The other possibility that comes to mind is that you may have incorrectly configured an anti-spam mod, but you didn't tell us what mods you have installed.

Also you should not be banning by IPs *at all*.  Using IP bans slows down your forum and, because most people have dynamic IPs, you risk locking out genuine members and even yourself.  If you have been banning spammers by IP I suggest you remove all the bans now (bots rarely come back with the same IP anyway) and use some of the preventative anti-spam measures described here to stop them from getting into your forum in the first place  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do.

For future reference, using descriptive titles and posting in the correct board does get you better help faster, and you should always include your forum version and mods installed to help us to help you.  A link to your forum can also be useful so we can check things out for ourselves  :)

Welcome to SMF and I'm sorry you didn't have a softer landing :)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Well truth be told :/ it would have been me or somebody else but it wouldn't have changed very much... Took some quotes from Kindred himself just to be sure not to say something wrong even if it sounds a bit harsh in any way, I really disliked writing all the above, believe me, it's not my style but truth be told since he really made it impossible for us to help him completely for not providing all the informations required, actually not even a little piece of information required XD Like I said I meant no harm and there is nothing personal :) just some guidelines (contained in the sticky topic, too).

The topic is still in documentation though Chalky... Move it? ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

NanoSector

Welcome to SMF!

What mods do you have installed? That undefined error is most likely caused by a mod, but should not cause login issues?
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Kindred

Just a guess... Did you happen to install the forum firewall mod?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Night09

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on September 19, 2014, 02:56:27 AM
Well truth be told :/ it would have been me or somebody else but it wouldn't have changed very much... Took some quotes from Kindred himself just to be sure not to say something wrong even if it sounds a bit harsh in any way, I really disliked writing all the above, believe me, it's not my style but truth be told since he really made it impossible for us to help him completely for not providing all the informations required, actually not even a little piece of information required XD Like I said I meant no harm and there is nothing personal :) just some guidelines (contained in the sticky topic, too).

The topic is still in documentation though Chalky... Move it? ;)

Or you could have just asked him for the correct info and welcomed him to SMF...

Herman's Mixen

Quote from: Godly Antlers on September 18, 2014, 11:35:58 PM
File: /home/HIDDEN (URL was here, removed)/public_html/forums/Themes/BlueShame/BoardIndex.template.php (body_above sub template - eval?)

Disable template eval in your server settings to get the real and final error what actually cause the problem ;)

Quote from: NanoSector on September 19, 2014, 03:09:48 AM
What mods do you have installed? That undefined error is most likely caused by a mod, but should not cause login issues?

have more a feeling that it is, theme setting which produce that error :P
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

NanoSector

Quote from: Herman's Mixen on September 19, 2014, 01:19:08 PM
Quote from: Godly Antlers on September 18, 2014, 11:35:58 PM

Disable template eval in your server settings to get the real and final error what actually cause the problem ;)

Quote from: NanoSector on September 19, 2014, 03:09:48 AM

have more a feeling that it is, theme setting which produce that error :P
Doubt it, themes should not add remove functionality on their own.
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Advertisement: