News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Attechements and slow internet connections

Started by oroedel, September 19, 2014, 07:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oroedel

I live in the 3rd world hidden in the forrests, that means my internet is VERY bad via 3G.

Often if I upload files bigger than some hundreds of KB I get a timeout error.

Is there a way to fix it? Exist an upload system/mod which works better (like OneDrive p.e.)?

Exist an a way to include OneDrive or other clouds in SMF as bibliotheca?

Can I upload files with FileZilla p.e. on the server e later use them like attachements?

Any ideas?

Kindred

Unfortunately, as far as I know, the answer is no to all of your questions....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

To you last question, YOU as admin and owner of the space, can upload files via FTP and then link them in your posts (not like real attachments, though...). Other users can't (I mean, they can but you would need to give them FTP access to your server - bad idea :P )

Or you can ask your host to increase the time limits for the PHP script on the server ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

oroedel

thank´s for quick reply.

just another question
in admin/attachements settings, you can click on configuere multiple attechments dir...
I clicked and got an error!?

The requested URL /forum/' . $scripturl . ' was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Kindred

Well, you obviously have your Main attachments directory misconfigured...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

oroedel

is there an other local than "attachments settings" to configuere this?
Cause the entry there is ok, and I can upload attachments normal. No error. And it works.

Can it be, cause I migrated the fórum, but not the attachments?
I´m uploading the old/lost attachments in the messages and deleting the old entries in the messages. Which works normal.

margarett

I'd say there's something wrong with your files...

Quote from: oroedel on September 19, 2014, 09:41:22 AM
The requested URL /forum/' . $scripturl . ' was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache should never see $scripturl.  So that means that there's something icky with some of your files...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Ninja ZX-10RR

Or even mod_security? I have seen a few cases in which it was causing that "Additionally a 404 error bla bla..", could it be because of that? I could be wrong, of course.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

Ninja.. No.  The 404 error is only because his server has been configured to look for a specific file to display in the error but that file was not created.

Mod_security will generate 403 or sometimes 500 errors...

This case is very clearly, a badly edited file, because $scripturl should be parsed, or should never be used in a place where it is displayed as the actual variable.
Слaва
Украинi

oroedel

sp what I need to look for?
Which setting/command could be wrong?

margarett

Sources/ManageAttachments.php
Maybe you attach it so that we can take a look? ;)

oroedel

margarett, ManageAttachement.php will be modified? Isn´t it a standar comand? I didn´t found any individual settings in this file.
And if I understand the errar message right, there is a path setting problem.
Or I´m wrong?

Other question, can I upload attechements from a cloud/web? Like do with avatars or mods.
I tried to put a OneDrive share in the file box, if you select the file to upload, but he created a red[1] file.

I need something to upload attachements without uploading them ;-)
Is there a way/mod that allows the selection of attachements in the web?

margarett

No, there isn't. The only "attachments space" that SMF deals with directly is its own installation folder. Other than that, there is no real control so it can't be used as a proper attachments space.
You can upload your files anywhere you want to and link them directly.

But that's just it... :(

Arantor

The problem with creating such a thing is that if you're expecting the server to download it for you, there's all kinds of legal issues with such a thing. Individual pictures aren't *too* bad but anything more heavyweight is fraught with trouble.

Which is why no-one's done it, and even though I'm currently working on a gallery - and have the necessary skills, especially seeing that YouTube videos can be added 'as items' - I can't condone adding that myself to it for that reason.

oroedel

I think it is really unnescessary to download a file to your computer to upload it later to the forum.
The best way would be store it directly in a post, as link or attachement.

Back to my folder problem, what will I do? Use a "original" ManageAttachement.php?

Arantor

QuoteI think it is really unnescessary to download a file to your computer to upload it later to the forum.

Do you own the legal right to distribute those files? If the answer is no, then none of it matters anyway.

oroedel

public science studies.

But this is out of interest, cause I can download whatever I want and upload it to a forum. Copyright don´t matters, technically.

The fact is that my forum is a "biblioteca", and I don´t need the files on my pc and in the forum.
So it would be much easier to "transfer", via link, a text/book I found in the web to a topic in the forum.

Only a link doesn´t works, cause sites changes to much, we need the files "physically" in the forum.

Arantor

Sure it does. It's still a legal matter.

However... if that's the stance you're going to take, that copyright doesn't matter... have fun with this.

Kindred

it also doesn't matter how much you THINK it would be easier.
The basic answer is "no" the forum will not do attachments via URL. period.
Also, the forum will not do attachments via a third party server, without some significant coding (which we currently have no interest in doing)

Слaва
Украинi

oroedel

I said it doesn´t matter technically!
We don´t keep/spread material that we don´t have the right to.

Whar i mean is thta copyright is no argument to not implement this feature.
This feature would help us/who has bad internet connection. Or work is social/educational/ambiental and don´t have R$5000 to pay an satelite internet access.

So this feature would help us to spread (copyright) FREE KNOWLEDGE to people who live in 3rd world.

If you´re living in a "comfortble" 1st world, great for you, we´re not.
So it would be a HELP to implement this feature. A feature that always exists (avatar/mods), so why not with attachements.

Advertisement: