News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Creating a Theme for smf

Started by swaggaderby, September 19, 2014, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swaggaderby

can someone please tel me d procedures in creating a theme for smf

swaggaderby

after creation of theme how do i enter theme author and link to author's site?

br360

Are you trying to make your own theme from scratch, or just download another theme? Take a look at the theme site with a ton of different choices- http://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/

ARG01

Imo, the best way to learn how to design your own theme is in five easy steps.

1. Set up a test site.

2. Rip the living crap out of the default theme.

3. Put it back together.

4. Repeat 2 and 3 often.

5. Apply new found knowledge towards building your own theme.

Having minimal experience in GFX is not required but helpful.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Night09

Quote from: SimpMode on September 19, 2014, 01:50:14 PM
Imo, the best way to learn how to design your own theme is in five easy steps.

1. Set up a test site.

2. Rip the living crap out of the default theme.

3. Put it back together.

4. Repeat 2 and 3 often.

5. Apply new found knowledge towards building your own theme.

Having minimal experience in GFX is not required but helpful.

;)

I like that idea a lot, im currently doing the same myself with a theme im trying to make. ;)

Antechinus

My approach when starting out was a bit different. What I usually did was trundle along using whatever theme on whatever site, until various things about it began to bug me. This  gave me definite ideas about what I wanted to change. Once I had those ideas, I'd figure out how to get them working, even if it required selling my soul to Satan and mass murder of kittens.

Basically, it's going to drive you nuts so you have to be determined, and you have to know what you want. If you have those two bases covered, you can do it. It helps if you check out how other people have done things too. Don't just look at default coding. Look at the coding of any theme (or any web page) that has something interesting about it. Ask a lot of questions. Do a lot of searches.

Night09

Quote from: Antechinus on September 19, 2014, 05:53:31 PM
My approach when starting out was a bit different. What I usually did was trundle along using whatever theme on whatever site, until various things about it began to bug me. This  gave me definite ideas about what I wanted to change. Once I had those ideas, I'd figure out how to get them working, even if it required selling my soul to Satan and mass murder of kittens.

Basically, it's going to drive you nuts so you have to be determined, and you have to know what you want. If you have those two bases covered, you can do it. It helps if you check out how other people have done things too. Don't just look at default coding. Look at the coding of any theme (or any web page) that has something interesting about it. Ask a lot of questions. Do a lot of searches.

I know exactly what I want to create...creating its another matter! :P

I do a lot of page source analysing though to get ideas when I see a feature I like or is interesting. Most never make it to an online site as its just things to amuse me while learning. At the moment on the theme im trying to create ive got to do a lot of css changes as the default way of pulling images to the template needs splitting up into some chunks calling from a set of images instead.

Keep at it Swaggarderby the same as me, learn from what this thread tells you and investigate other peoples ways of doing tasks. When you get it done you will be happy. I know I will!  ;)

swaggaderby

Thanks  to everyone who contributed on this thread..please i have one little question..how do i change my search box and put in Google custom search

Deaks

this would depend on what theme you are using is it based on curve?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

acepnoor

creating themes from scracth or manual ? I never created just modify the basic themes or else

swaggaderby

Quote from: TrayBake on October 09, 2014, 09:09:43 PM
this would depend on what theme you are using is it based on curve?
yes based on curve the team currently used on this suppot forum

Deaks

Ok assuming you dont already have the code you need to sign up for something like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/cse/

To add it to your site is simple, open index.template.php

And you will want to replace this code

<form id="search_form" action="', $scripturl, '?action=search2" method="post" accept-charset="', $context['character_set'], '">
<input type="text" name="search" value="" class="input_text" />&nbsp;
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="', $txt['search'], '" class="button_submit" />
<input type="hidden" name="advanced" value="0" />';

// Search within current topic?
if (!empty($context['current_topic']))
echo '
<input type="hidden" name="topic" value="', $context['current_topic'], '" />';
// If we're on a certain board, limit it to this board ;).
elseif (!empty($context['current_board']))
echo '
<input type="hidden" name="brd[', $context['current_board'], ']" value="', $context['current_board'], '" />';

echo '</form>';
<form id="search_form" action="', $scripturl, '?action=search2" method="post" accept-charset="', $context['character_set'], '">
<input type="text" name="search" value="" class="input_text" />&nbsp;
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="', $txt['search'], '" class="button_submit" />
<input type="hidden" name="advanced" value="0" />';

// Search within current topic?
if (!empty($context['current_topic']))
echo '
<input type="hidden" name="topic" value="', $context['current_topic'], '" />';
// If we're on a certain board, limit it to this board ;).
elseif (!empty($context['current_board']))
echo '
<input type="hidden" name="brd[', $context['current_board'], ']" value="', $context['current_board'], '" />';

echo '</form>';
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: