News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Spammers Registerations

Started by Galaxy Computers, September 19, 2014, 01:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galaxy Computers

I getting this during registration.

Have you notice that 8 IP addresses are the same with 8 different usernames and email addresses. I know these are spammers how can I stop this its driving bonkers.
Wade Morris
Amarillo, Texas

Morris Technologies Computer Support Forum

Chalky

Galaxy Computers

Wade Morris
Amarillo, Texas

Night09

Quote from: mtechama on September 19, 2014, 01:39:19 PM
Quote from: Chalky on September 19, 2014, 01:23:02 PM
Have you read this little fountain of wisdom?  ;)  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

I did all that and they are still flooding my forum with spam.

So you installed every item mentioned in the post and still get spam?

Chalky

And you set up some really good verification questions that only people genuinely interested in the subject of your forum could answer?

Galaxy Computers

Quote from: Chalky on September 19, 2014, 01:50:08 PM
And you set up some really good verification questions that only people genuinely interested in the subject of your forum could answer?

Ok, I did some changes on my 3 questions instead math.
Wade Morris
Amarillo, Texas

Chalky

I'm registering on your forum now.  The first thing I see is a big fat error on the rtegistration screen.  What mod is causing this??

QuoteERROR: peoplesign clientCan't get socket to peoplesign host (Connection timed out: [110]) ERROR: peoplesign clientpeoplesign is unavailble (serverUnreachable)

peoplesign is unavailble

Now I'm waiting for the activation email.  I haven't been presented with one single verification question.  That's why you're getting spammed.  Whatever anti-spam mod you have isn't installed properly and you have no questions which are probably the most effective defence again st spammers of all kinds.

I get 0 spam on my forum using only verification questions and Misc anti-spam.  I have Bad Behavior installed and ready to activate if those methods fail, but in two and a half years they haven't yet.  I get at most 4 spammer registrations a year, which we catch at admin approval (bots can do email activation as well as any human).

I suggest you read the linked wiki page again and act on it this time  ;)

In the time I've been composing and revising this post I haven't yet received the activation email.  Is that even working on your forum?

Galaxy Computers

Quote from: Chalky on September 19, 2014, 02:01:31 PM
I'm registering on your forum now.  The first thing I see is a big fat error on the rtegistration screen.  What mod is causing this??

QuoteERROR: peoplesign clientCan't get socket to peoplesign host (Connection timed out: [110]) ERROR: peoplesign clientpeoplesign is unavailble (serverUnreachable)

peoplesign is unavailble

Now I'm waiting for the activation email.  I haven't been presented with one single verification question.  That's why you're getting spammed.  Whatever anti-spam mod you have isn't installed properly and you have no questions which are probably the most effective defence again st spammers of all kinds.

I get 0 spam on my forum using only verification questions and Misc anti-spam.  I have Bad Behavior installed and ready to activate if those methods fail, but in two and a half years they haven't yet.  I get at most 4 spammer registrations a year, which we catch at admin approval (bots can do email activation as well as any human).

I suggest you read the linked wiki page again and act on it this time  ;)

In the time I've been composing and revising this post I haven't yet received the activation email.  Is that even working on your forum?

I acted like was a new user and I got the three questions with no errors at all.
Wade Morris
Amarillo, Texas

Chalky

Still no activation email....  you're keeping genuine users out anyway  ;)

Right I see questions now.  First off, captcha is useless, turn it off.  Can you read the letters in the attached screenshot?  I sure as hell can't  :P  Bots can though, no problem.

Questions.  Sorry but those are crap.  If the answer shows on the first page of Google when you type in the question, bots can answer it.  All spambots know the sky is blue and the capital of Texas.  Use your imagination, choose questions relevant to your forum even if only asking the colour of your logo or something from the copyright footer.  Questions such as "Write the capital letters in the following: xfYuhNIopQr" where the answer is YNIQ are reported to work quite well.  It's also a good idea to set up say 10 questions, of which 2 or 3 are presented each time, to mix up the combination and make it harder for bots to learn the answers.

Have you looked at the Misc anti-spam mod?  Simple, unobstrusive but effective.

Galaxy Computers

Quote from: Chalky on September 19, 2014, 02:14:20 PM
Still no activation email....  you're keeping genuine users out anyway  ;)

Right I see questions now.  First off, captcha is useless, turn it off.  Can you read the letters in the attached screenshot?  I sure as hell can't  :P  Bots can though, no problem.

Questions.  Sorry but those are crap.  If the answer shows on the first page of Google when you type in the question, bots can answer it.  All spambots know the sky is blue and the capital of Texas.  Use your imagination, choose questions relevant to your forum even if only asking the colour of your logo or something from the copyright footer.  Questions such as "Write the capital letters in the following: xfYuhNIopQr" where the answer is YNIQ are reported to work quite well.  It's also a good idea to set up say 10 questions, of which 2 or 3 are presented each time, to mix up the combination and make it harder for bots to learn the answers.

Have you looked at the Misc anti-spam mod?  Simple, unobstrusive but effective.

I did a new user activation without a problem and did get a activation email. I do understand on questions. I am currently working hard questions right now.
Wade Morris
Amarillo, Texas

Chalky

Good man    Please let us know how you get on  :)

Galaxy Computers

Quote from: Chalky on September 19, 2014, 02:32:03 PM
Good man    Please let us know how you get on  :)

I am currently working on some new odd questions right now.
Wade Morris
Amarillo, Texas

Chalky

I just got the activation email  ;D  You can delete me now  :)

a10

QuoteI am currently working hard questions right now.
No need to sweat over it. A few questions like this works great on my forum:

write the uppercase letters seen in nomOREspam
enter the 2 first numbers seen in boeing747
write the last three lowercase letters seen in THISiseaSY
enter the last four letters in skjkstrg
etc etc

Make your own, takes just a few seconds. So far not one bot has made it here, millions of attempts. See my previous posts for other examples.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Advertisement: