Paid Subscription "Activation"

Started by truckworks, September 19, 2014, 10:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truckworks

How do I get these to activate? We just filled out the IPN settings 5 minutes ago (we had the PP account linked for a few days and couldn't figure out why we didn't see anything). 

Is there something else I'm missing?
Any questions I post are related to 2.0.8.  Thank you all for any help you give me, truly a great community on here!

Sir Osis of Liver

Paid Subs does not require IPN enabled on your PayPal account.  Are the unactivated subscriptions shown as 'Payment pending'?  Any Paid Subs errors in your error log?  Do you have recurring payments enabled?  Which currency setting are you using?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

truckworks

Some more info:
- 1 of these is a $10 annual payment
- the other is a $50 lifetime 

Shown as payment pending on the PayPal account? No, nothing 

No, zero paid sub errors. 

Recurring payments? Is that the auto-renew option?  They are both turned off. 

Using USD$
Any questions I post are related to 2.0.8.  Thank you all for any help you give me, truly a great community on here!

Sir Osis of Liver

On the same page as your screenshot, there's a 'Pending Payment' column, which should show subs that have been ordered but not activated.  If PayPal payment is successful, sub is not activated, shows as pending, and there are no errors in the log, it usually means IPN is being blocked and not reaching subscriptions.php.  IPNs can be blocked by some mods and hosts.  PayPal support can confirm that an IPN is sent after payment is completed, and can determine from their end if it's being blocked.

- R. Waters

truckworks

We just received this email a few minute ago. 

Please check your server that handles PayPal Instant Payment Notification (IPN) messages. Messages sent to the following URL(s) are not being received:

http://mysitehere.com

If you do not recognize this URL, you may be using a service provider that is using IPN on your behalf. Please contact your service provider with the above information.

Once you or your service provider fix this problem, you or your service provider can resend the failed messages from the IPN History page. If this problem continues, PayPal may disable the IPN feature for your account.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.

So how do I go forward here? Is this a hosting issue, site issue, or PP issue?

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you running any mods?  Have an .htaccess in your forum root?

- R. Waters

truckworks

No mods (installed a theme and changed background but that's it). 

Yes, I have a .htaccess in root, but it is blank...... am I supposed to have put something in it? 

Please tell me it isn't blatantly explained in the manual somewhere and I just didn't even look at it.......

Sir Osis of Liver

Sounds like your host is blocking IPNs, possibly with a security setting.  The notification url is correct, IPNs are just not getting there.  Contact host support and copy them the PayPal email.

- R. Waters

truckworks

Oh my goodness, I am an idiot...... pure, unadulterated idiot...... I am sorry for wasting your time.   

I didn't check the "active" box.  I thought it meant that all new users must join that group, not that it would activate it. 

bangs head against computer 

Can you tell I'm new to this and have had a crappy week?

Sir Osis of Liver

If the sub is not active, it can't be ordered, so no payment can be made, and no IPN is sent.  You can manually add a subscriber to an inactive sub, but you can't do it by PayPal payment.  If IPNs are bouncing off your forum, the sub must be active.

- R. Waters

truckworks

I just used our non-admin test account for the annual fee and it not only worked, but it auto updated the account to the membergroup. 

I am still a little blown away at how awesome free software can be

Sir Osis of Liver

Not really sure what you did originally, but sounds like all's well.  Make sure Paid Subscription Checks is enabled in Admin -> Scheduled Tasks.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: