News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

restore password problem

Started by DrBlack, September 20, 2014, 06:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrBlack

when i use forget password. in my forums
Authentication Reminder

If you've forgotten your login details, don't worry, they can be retrieved. To start this process please enter your username or email address below.

when i restore my password it appear this

Please select one of the two options below:

Email me a new password

Let me set a new password by answering my "secret question"

when i choose the first . nothing sended to my email at all
when i use the secound it ask
QuoteSecret Question:
    what is your school ?

while me + when my members register there is no ( secret question )

=====

so i want help in :-

1- send email from the site in first choose
2- appear secret question in register

Night09

Does your forum have a mail server set up? Has the recent updating you done effected this?

It shouldnt ask for a secret question answer unless you set one to begin.

DrBlack

Night09

If your host provides email services then enter their details as PHP in the mail configuration panel. If it does not provide email services you can follow this guide to set up a Gmail account to use instead. You can use whoever you want but this will give you the right idea.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343385.0

Set a secret question in your profile settings. Each user must do their own if they want to use it. Id suggest not doing that yet until you resolve the actual sending of mail.

Kindred

as Night09 says --   if the emails are not being sent - solve that first.

are *ANY* emails being sent by your forum?
- admin notifications of new users joining?
- notifications of new posts in a thread to which you subscribe?
- notifications of a personal message?
- email from another user via the site?
- email for lost password

if none of these are getting sent, then you have a) and issue with your mail configuration or b) an issue with your host

if SOME of these emails are not getting sent, but some are...  then you have a deeper issue with your site, probably due to some combination of mods or code edits.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DrBlack

Quote from: Night09 on September 20, 2014, 07:36:58 AM
If your host provides email services then enter their details as PHP in the mail configuration panel. If it does not provide email services you can follow this guide to set up a Gmail account to use instead. You can use whoever you want but this will give you the right idea.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343385.0

Set a secret question in your profile settings. Each user must do their own if they want to use it. Id suggest not doing that yet until you resolve the actual sending of mail.

how to ask the secret question in registration ?
because many users forget to make it in profile settings

Night09

Is your mail working now? If not its pointless to do anything else.

DrBlack

Night09

If your definately recieving mail to set up some questions go to:  Admin > Configuration > Security and Moderation > Anti Spam.

You can set the questions and answers there for registration.

Users have to set their own reminder question for a password reset.

Kindred

there is no way to currently set the secret reminder during registration.  You can look through the mods and see if anyone has written a mod to move it there...   
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

DrBlack

Quote from: Night09 on September 20, 2014, 08:46:13 AM
If your definately recieving mail to set up some questions go to:  Admin > Configuration > Security and Moderation > Anti Spam.

You can set the questions and answers there for registration.

Users have to set their own reminder question for a password reset.

configuration not working

please see this  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=528002.0

DrBlack

Quote from: Kindred on September 20, 2014, 08:50:34 AM
there is no way to currently set the secret reminder during registration.  You can look through the mods and see if anyone has written a mod to move it there...

and how to make restore password ?
i see this link  http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343385.0

but i dont found this path Server settings > Feature configuration

in server settings there only :
    General
    Database and Paths
    Cookies and Sessions
    Caching
    Load Balancing

Night09

You are confusing different things here.

A verification question is for registration to stop or inhibit bots.

A password recovery question (secret reminder) is for members who forget their password.

Setting up your mail has nothing to do with recovering a lost password.

Can you send email that arrives at your email address?  (tested working not a guess its working)

The email settings can be found at:   Admin > Maintenance > Mail > Settings.

Fix that FIRST before worrying about anything else.

Illori

Quote from: Night09 on September 20, 2014, 09:46:38 AM

yes it has a lot to do with recovering a lost password, especially if the user ops for an email to be sent to their email address to reset their password.

Night09

Quote from: Illori on September 20, 2014, 09:52:08 AM
Quote from: Night09 on September 20, 2014, 09:46:38 AM

yes it has a lot to do with recovering a lost password, especially if the user ops for an email to be sent to their email address to reset their password.

Have you read the full thread?

He cant even get his mail working so at this point it is nothing to do with recovering passwords. He wants a password question to recover lost passwords but doesnt acutally have mail setup.

DrBlack

i wait for answer

Night09

Is your mail server working now as in you can send mail and it arrives at your email address you have used on your profile?

DrBlack

No its not working.
my mail in profile is working .. but in restore password to any member  it doesnt send to anyone

Kindred

Quote from: Kindred on September 20, 2014, 07:40:48 AM
as Night09 says --   if the emails are not being sent - solve that first.

are *ANY* emails being sent by your forum?
- admin notifications of new users joining?
- notifications of new posts in a thread to which you subscribe?
- notifications of a personal message?
- email from another user via the site?
- email for lost password

if none of these are getting sent, then you have a) and issue with your mail configuration or b) an issue with your host

if SOME of these emails are not getting sent, but some are...  then you have a deeper issue with your site, probably due to some combination of mods or code edits.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: