News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Google crawled boards/posts requiring a login!!!

Started by NewMoon, September 20, 2014, 08:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewMoon

I just discovered that boards on our forum that require a login were crawled and are displaying in Google without requiring a login!!!

What could cause this?  I had to take the entire site down until I figure this out as I cannot have private posts out for anyone to see.

Any advice is appreciated!  Thank you!

Kindred

1- smf version
2- mods installed
3- url for us to take a look at....

This is not possible, if the forum is correctly configured...   which means that either you have misconfigured something, which allowed google to crawl the boards or you have a mod which broke the standard permissions and allowed it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

NewMoon

Sorry for not replying sooner.  You pointed me in the right direction.  The issue was due to an admin error.  One of the new sub-boards was accidentally set as accessible by "guests".  This gave search engines the access to crawl the posts.  We corrected permission settings and cleaned Google.

Thanks!

Advertisement: