News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Smart Quotes

Started by iorkara, September 20, 2014, 11:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iorkara

I have noticed that my SMF does not support Smart Quotes. Is it possible to change this?

Thank you.

Kindred

Well, so called smart quotes are anything but...   They are the most annoying thing that microsquish ever started using... And they look terrible.

That being said, convert to UTF8 and your site will handle them
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

iorkara

It is annoying. So many of my users have been having problems when they copy something from one site and try to paste into the forum. The text just get's cut off.

So, first off. I guess I need to backup. To do this. I goto: Maintenance >   Forum Maintenance... > Database.

Under Backup Database, I have all these checked: Save the table structure. Save the table data (the important stuff). Compress the file with gzip. Then click download.

Then, to switch to UTF8. I need to follow these steps: Maintenance > Convert the database and data to UTF-8. Then click Run Task Now. Then I should be all good?

Chalky

You should always use the backup tools provided by your host, if you have access to them.  They are more reliable than the one built into SMF  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Backup

iorkara

G'day all, thank you all for the great tips n' all.

I did ran into an error:

Database Error

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.8, while your database is at version 2.0.7. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Ninja ZX-10RR

You didn't mention if you actually ran upgrade.php though...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on September 27, 2014, 01:28:45 AM
You didn't mention if you actually ran upgrade.php though...

there are no database changes since 2.0, there should be more to that error message to tell us what the issue is.

Ninja ZX-10RR

I know, but it's strange that SMF tells him to run it if there are no changes... Trying to run it though would not hurt, even if I don't think it would solve ita anyway...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Kindred

It's a misprint in the error message...   The database IS set to a previous version.
How erver, the end bit of the error message is incorrect in this case, since that previous version in the database does not actually matter, since there have been no database changes.

What matters...   And what has no been included in his post... Is the FIRST part of the error message that indicates what ACTUALLY errored...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

iorkara

G'day all,

Apologise for not including the first part. Here it is:

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation 'ifnull'
File: forum/Sources/Subs-Portal.php
Line: 1251

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade. Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.8, while your database is at version 2.0.7. The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

Kindred

ah well...   that is much clearer now...    the problem is exactly what it says...   your database has apparently been created with different collations.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: