News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

top banner on 2.0 - (has been asked countless times!)

Started by lewism, September 21, 2014, 01:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewism

I have spent a full day trying to figure this out. I have searched and searched and followed countless topics but all of them lead to dead ends. Why this is so hard to find, I don't know but one thing I know is that people use the wrong terms so the results are very skewed.

I simply want to add a banner which will auto resize for pc/mobiles in the area below the forum title and before the menu items. That big wasted area that could look great with my sites banner on it :).

Seems to me that some of these questions which come up so often might be considered as default options built into SMF?

Can anyone please show me a proper link to a proper solution to this seemingly endlessly asked question.
Using SMF 2.0.8 with the default theme.

Kindred

Well, see, if you have news items, that space is not actually "wasted"

As for what to do, you would have to edit index.template.php

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lewism

>Well, see, if you have news items, that space is not actually "wasted"

True. So, it's wasted if I don't have any news but either way, I simply meant putting a banner in that area :).

>As for what to do, you would have to edit index.template.php

Yup, I've come across that countless times but all of the examples I've found have not worked so there is not too much noise out there across many many versions etc. That's why I'm asking for the url of the most current and working method since I've certainly not found it yet.

Thanks.

lewism

>Maybe this would help:

Wonderful! Thanks so much. It's funny how no matter how much searching sometimes, you simply need a lead from someone else.

Goldengirl71

I just finished doing this with a logo, so not a full banner, but my issue was about making my logo, and then replaced my logo.png on my server.  After doing that, I needed to go into my server files under theme>css>index.css, then highlite that and choose "edit" (see attached).  When your css opens, I searched for logo on the page, and made sure to set the new width and height.  It took a few tries, oh, and of course I used a transparent background.

I don't know that this will help you, but I understand working for hours on end, pulling out my hair because I missed something.  I'll attach so you know what I did, hope it helps in some way.

lewism

Quote from: abbynormal on September 21, 2014, 05:45:09 PM
I just finished doing this with a logo, so not a full banner, but my issue was about making my logo, and then replaced my logo.png on my server.  After doing that, I needed to go into my server files under theme>css>index.css, then highlite that and choose "edit" (see attached).  When your css opens, I searched for logo on the page, and made sure to set the new width and height.  It took a few tries, oh, and of course I used a transparent background.

I don't know that this will help you, but I understand working for hours on end, pulling out my hair because I missed something.  I'll attach so you know what I did, hope it helps in some way.

If there was Karma, I would give you some :).

Thanks for the input.

Goldengirl71

Thanks, I was hoping maybe it would help someone.  I know a teenie bit of html but CSS is way tough for me, this was cool how it worked though;) Denise

Advertisement: