News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Events for smf

Started by lewism, September 24, 2014, 11:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewism

I have been searching and found only some long abandoned addons for SMF which allow users to hold events where others can RSVP, etc. Or, an enhancement to the Calendar function which might allow this, or display those dates/events on the site.

Can't seem to find anything like these which are important in order to convert from Joomla to SMF.

Thanks for any leads.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

lewism

Yes, I found that instantly but it's not very polished and hoped there might be other possible solutions out there.

Ninja ZX-10RR

What do you mean with "polished"?
Also... Could you follow these guidelines (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=243730.0) to let people understand better what you need exactly? ;)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

lewism

What I mean is simply that I don't like the look and feel of that one so am looking around to see if there is anything else available. Why would I bother reading that? I'm not asking for a mod to something, I'm looking for an existing one.

Ninja ZX-10RR

But if you don't say exactly what you need helping you becomes rather impossible, that's why I linked that thread ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

lewism

I don't know why you are reprimanding me, I am pretty sure most everyone would understand what I was asking.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Just a note: I am not a moderator and I don't have the rights nor the intention to blame you, I just wanted some clarification that's it. I can't find any other ones though, at least with the information provided.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

lewism

Well, I don't really know how else to explain it other than an events manager.

As posted;

>addons for SMF which allow users to hold events where others can RSVP, etc. Or, an
>enhancement to the Calendar function which might allow this, or display those dates/evens on the site.

That should say it all. Events online usually mean that people can see the event, get some details on it, RSVP to them, where a count is kept so that others know who is coming, etc etc.

The one mod I saw I'm sure is fine, and I may end up trying it but it's not what I could call a polished addon. By polished, I mean with the features that I would like to see in a full blown events manager.

Again, that is simply my personal view on it however.

Arantor

Except you haven't said the difference between what the mod currently offers and 'a full blown events manager' is.

You just say it isn't. But until you can explain what it is that you're *actually* missing, we can't possibly help you, because what is perfectly clear to you is not clear to us. We can only go on what words you've said.

We can't read your mind, unfortunately. Pretend you're talking to someone who has absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Explain it in terms a 5 year old could understand.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Big up for Arantor's message. That's what I mean, I'm not the only one who has not the mind reading mod installed ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

lewism

Anyhow, you're just wasting my time wanting to argue. My question is pretty straight forward, anyone can understand but you insist on picking away at me so I'm done responding to this.

I have found no other solution in the mods therefore, none must exist. Simple as that.

lewism

For anyone else who is looking, I did just come across this. Not sure how I missed it before but still, there don't seem to be many options or I've not found them yet.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3238

Plus, I may have put my question in the wrong forum because I am not asking for a modification, I am looking to see if a mod already exists which has events functions. I believe I have found two but that's it so far.

Anyhow, if a moderator sees this and it is in the wrong forum, feel free to delete it or move it.

Thanks.

Arantor

No, it's really NOT that straightforward.

You have said you want a full blown events manager. What does one of those do? Seriously. I don't understand what the difference between that and just the events invitations mod is. I get that you want to be able to see when people are coming/not coming (for which multiple mods actually exist), but I don't understand what's missing between what you call an events manager and what I know exists.

Is that mod an events manager? (I would claim it probably is, but since it doesn't seem to match up to your definition, I'd love to know what's missing) You say there aren't many options... what options do they not give you?

Especially I'm already designing a mod that overhauls the calendar. And getting an idea of what functionality people want would be a good idea...

lewism

Happy to give you that feedback but my question was still pretty clear. I wasn't asking for anything rock solid specific, I mentioned some basic events functions, that's it. Software has what ever the author built into it. Some packages have more features than others, some have certain looks, what ever works for each person who needs something I guess.

Don't have anything specific to give you other than what I have but if you'll stop the debate attitude, then I would be happy to quote functions I have in my JomSocial Events for example on a few of my Joomla sites.

Arantor

You mention 'some functions'. This is no clearer to me than before this conversation started.

I'm not trying to debate you. I'm just trying to get more information out of you because I'm damn well not a mind reader.

You are saying these things lack options. Except you don't ever say what you're missing. If you can't tell us what's missing from these things, it's impossible to work out what you do want.

Good luck. I wouldn't build this stuff for you even if you paid me, because frankly I'd be charging you $50 an hour to waste your time while you worked out what it was you actually wanted. Because I could build you something that was a 'full on events manager' and I guarantee it wouldn't meet your needs because you never tell anyone what they are.

Kindred

You need to stop insisting that "it is pretty clear", because you have received I out from two folks - one of whom is a former developer and probably has one of the best understandings of the current smf code base - which indicate that what you are asking IS NOT ACTUALLY CLEAR.

Please SPELL OUT exactly what features you are looking for. Do not make assumptions that anyone is thinking along the same lines as you or knows what you are stating, unless you spell it out. No assumption. If it is not actually defined in your work statement, then it won't be considered as part of the request for a mod,.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lewism

It's as clear as it gets because mine is a general question :). I even said maybe it's not posted in the proper forum and perhaps the moderator could let me know that if that is the case. This forum seems to be about people wanting to see additional functionality in existing mods. That is not my question.

Just looking for addons, whether mods or third party addons which allow for more traditional EVENTS functions. I've looked but am not finding many so asked if folks might have some leads on more EVENTS addons.

Events functions usually mean that users can RSVP themselves to the event, they are listed as attendees, they can remove themselves, people can make notes and communicate with each other in the event function or perhaps in the post in this case. I see the Calendar function, perhaps something which ties into that.

Arantor

No, this board is about people requesting mods to the core SMF functionality.

There are already multiple mods that cover the functionality you describe - people RSVPing to an event, listing as attendees etc. The calendar, out of the box, allows for topics to be attached to events, for discussion, and there's always the PM functionality.

So, again... what do you need from SMF that the currently available mods do not do? And telling me to go look at Joomla doesn't help me any, since I'm not going to spend hours and hours trying to set up Joomla just because you can't be bothered to spend a few minutes' effort yourself.

lewism

>You are saying these things lack options. Except you don't ever say what you're missing. If you can't
>tell us what's missing from these things, it's impossible to work out what you do want.

And again, I am not asking for anything specific at this moment, you are the one who keeps trying to make me tell you specific things yet this was a general question. Maybe once I find something I think I might use, if it's missing something, then I will have no problems talking about specifics.

Right now, my question remains the same... looking for EVENTS type functionality for the site I am working on. Nothing specific.

As for looking at Joomla, I never said anything about installing just to look and who would do that? I mentioned JomSocial and it's events functions. Takes 3 seconds to look up 'JomSocial Events Functions' on the net if you are personally desperate to know what EVENTS functions mean :)

Advertisement: