News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Using SMF Newsletter

Started by DenDen60, September 25, 2014, 10:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DenDen60

Hi,

I am going to use the Custom Profile Fields to create fields that contain information regarding the country, the province or the state, the city one lives in and the language spoken, and make them searchable.

When I will create a newsletter I want to be able to send it, for example, only to those who live in Quebec and speak French.

Can this be done?

Thanks
Denis

Arantor

Not without a rewrite of the system. It simply doesn't fetch that information, mostly because no-one ever wanted it before and there's no way to do it even remotely efficiently anyway given how the database is currently set up.

DenDen60

Ok. What if I use a third party newsletter system? I am thinking of using SMFHacks newsletterpro.

vbgamer45

Still requires custom code. You could in theory modify the campaign function to include an the custom field to check on. Would require about a couple hours of work.

Or you can do an sql query and just grab the users from each and send to them that way.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

DenDen60

A couple of hours for me probably means 10, but I think I could do it.

You say in theory, how certain are you that it would work in practice? ;)

How would I modify the campaign section to include the custom fields?

vbgamer45

Anything would work but you would have to to code it. Honestly I would do a query on getting members email with that custom field. Then have a select box to choose between the options either on campaign or newsetter send.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

DenDen60

Thanks. Do you think it is easy enough to do that a novice programmer could do it?

Thanks

vbgamer45

You need to at least the basics in SQL, PHP, and html. SQL know how to do joins.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

DenDen60

Thanks, I do have the basics, though I am sure I will need some help. I will ask for it on your forum.

Thanks

Advertisement: