2.0.8 tearing (what's left of) my hair out.

Started by PercyVere, September 26, 2014, 09:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PercyVere

When 2.0.7 was originally released I updated from 2.0.6 but started to get 100's of error logs so I uninstalled 2.0.7.  When 2.0.8 was released I uploaded the necessary files and thought nothing of it.  Now I find our little forum is still running in 2.0.6.  I have spent the last few hours trying to get the upgrade to run but get this message: "550 Can't change directory to /', $settings['default_theme_url'], '/scripts/sha1.js: No such file or directory".

Before I go as bald as a coot, can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong and how to put things right. 

BTW, I've read all previous posts here regarding problems with 2.0.8 to see if anyone else has had the same problems.

Thanks in advance, 
Percy.

www.forumtowers.com

Arantor

How *exactly* did you 'upload the necessary files'?

The error message you're getting suggests something very strange indeed, as though the FTP server is receiving PHP commands when it shouldn't be.

PercyVere

I downloaded the 2.0.8 zip file to my laptop and opened it up.  Next I opened FileZilla and uploadeded all of the files to the server.  Finally I tried to run upgrade.php using "myforum.com/forum/upgrade.phr" but all I keep getting is the message I mentioned above plus multiple demands for my password.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hold on a second...
1) SMF 2.0.7 should work with no errors in the first place
2) to get to 2.0.8 you must upgrade to 2.0.7 first!
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

PercyVere

Thanks Ninja.  I've just done the same for 2.0.7 as I did for 2.0.8 as given in my last post and I'm still getting the same messages.

margarett

If you uploaded the 2.0.8 large upgrade package on top of 2.0.6, you don't need to run upgrade.php.
Don't forget that, if you replace your files, your MODs will break and you should also remove any theme you're using (except default :P )as it will probably have remaining code from MODs that is not broken.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

PercyVere

2.0.6 was uploaded by the previous webmaster for our forum.  I do not know how he did this and I have no means of contacting him (phone number and email address are dead) that's why I'm asking for help here.  I need simple instructions because I am a numpty when it comes to all things related to the web.

margarett

Sorry I had a typo. I mean 2.0.8 (which was what you uploaded ;) )
Read my previous post again, I fixed the typo

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

PercyVere

Thank you.  Next questions: 

What are "MODs"?
Where do I find them?
How can I tell if they are broken?
Finally, if they are broken, how do I fix them?

margarett

Percy, don't get me wrong but you need to read a little bit ;)
If you are "messing" with SMF's files you should know how things work or you will eventually break something...

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Modifications/Mods_-_What_is_a_mod

To know if they are broken you just know :P if your forum presents issues...
To fix them, it varies. A lot.

PercyVere

Nothing appears broken at the moment.  I was just asking ...

Thanks all for your help.

richwig83

Packages can be a total pain.

Just for future reference, before you install a mod ALWAYS take a back up of your /forum/ folder... that way if it screws up you can just re-upload the working version.

Advertisement: