facebook like private message(conversation)

Started by Osaugue, September 26, 2014, 06:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osaugue

I would love this feature instead of the normal pm system where if a user sends me multiple messages i see his name on the pm page multiple times, i would rather welcome single name but all messages the user sent will be visible when i click on his name, just like facebook ;D

Kindred

Well, smf already has a conversation mode in PMs....

But having it automatically do that based on the user? That is a whole 'nother ball of wax and would require recoding significant portions...    For very little return, IMO.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Osaugue

Quote from: Kindred on September 26, 2014, 07:22:19 PM
Well, smf already has a conversation mode in PMs....

But having it automatically do that based on the user? That is a whole 'nother ball of wax and would require recoding significant portions...    For very little return, IMO.
:( i can't call the inbuilt one on smf CONVERSATION :(

Antechinus

Eh? Do you mean you can't find the setting for it?

Kindred

What else would you call it, when all messages in the conversation stream are saved and displayed in the same stream?

Mind you, you do have to set it to conversation mode (in 2.0...  I. 2.1, it's on by default)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Osaugue

Arantor

QuoteMind you, you do have to set it to conversation mode (in 2.0...  I. 2.1, it's on by default)

Is it?

I know in 2.0 it not only isn't by default but you can't even configure it, which is why the PM Settings mod came to be a thing in the first place (which will let you configure it and reset everyone else's to that)

Kindred

I think it is...

save sent messages and view as conversation...

I THINK is set ON in 2.1
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Save sent messages is permanently on in 2.1 - I know that because I did that one myself. View as conversation, though, I don't remember changing.

I just checked registerMember which would be the ideal place to do it, but I don't see that changed in 2.1.

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on September 27, 2014, 03:43:06 PM
I think it is...

save sent messages and view as conversation...

I THINK is set ON in 2.1

there is no admin option to view as conversation in 2.1 or at least the admin search does not find it.

Arantor

Kindred

I was not thinking of an admin option, Illori...   I was thinking we had it turned on for all new users.   Arantor suggests that is nOt so, though (which is possible)
Слaва
Украинi

Illori

then i read what you said wrong. either way it may not be a bad feature to see in the future.

Arantor

I'd be completely OK with forcing it to be the default for new users ;)

Again, PM settings mod exists for a reason.

Antechinus

The reason being that it should be a core feature? ;)

Seriously, conversation mode should be default. It's one of 2.0.x's best features.

Arantor

The reason being that it's practically a ready-to-go implementation to let admins customise it and allow for setting it and resetting it as necessary (something not possible in 2.0 or 2.1 otherwise) ;)

Antechinus

Here's a radical notion: ditch the other modes and only have conversation. Nice clean codebase (relatively speaking).

Arantor

Good luck with pruning the codebase to do that. I'd rather rip the whole thing out and build a clean one from scratch than try to do that.

live627

Quote from: Antechinus on September 27, 2014, 05:41:44 PM
Here's a radical notion: ditch the other modes and only have conversation. Nice clean codebase (relatively speaking).
Might as well build it off the topics structure then.

Antechinus

Worth thinking about for whatever comes after 2.1. How many people use anything other than conversation mode?

Advertisement: