News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Profile Field - Checkbox

Started by Burke ♞ Knight, September 28, 2014, 08:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burke ♞ Knight

Profile Field - Checkbox

QuoteCheckbox - With a checkbox, users are able to click to either enable or disable the option. You can select whether the Default State should be enabled or disabled.

However, it shows even when box is not checked.

EDIT:

Seems it only shows when not checked in the profile summary page. (2.1 also suffers from this)

Burke ♞ Knight

I just tested, and this is an issue on a clean install of 2.0.8 also.
So, not any mods doing it.

Arantor

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing what the bug is.

You have a checkbox. Users can tick it or not tick it. You can also set what the default state (ticked, unticked) should be. Neither of these control whether it shows up or not.

I'm assuming that you're suggesting 'it shouldn't show when the item is not ticked', except the joy of a checkbox is that it is implicitly a value even when not ticked (in a way nothing else is), so it is intentional that it shows up even when not ticked.

Burke ♞ Knight

When the box is checked, it will show in topic view and memberlist if set to.
Yet, unchecked, it will still show in profile summary, unlike any other type used for the profile field.

So I take it, there is no way to have it not show in profile summary, like the topic view?

Arantor

Burke ♞ Knight

If that is the case, then the checkbox option is basically useless, as it will still show, whether the box is checked or not, making the check redundant. :(

Arantor

No, it's not redundant since it shows yes/no for checked/not checked.

Burke ♞ Knight

Actually, it shows the same way, in profile summary, checked or unchecked.
So when viewing the profile, there's no way to know if it is checked, unless go in and edit the profile.

Arantor

It shouldn't. It should be indicating yes/no.

Burke ♞ Knight

That is what I was saying.
It shows the same in summary, no matter if checked or unchecked.
Look at attached image, the Test with the SMF logo.
Shows no matter what.

Arantor

That's because you've done it wrong.

If you use 'Show Enclosed Within Text', it's GOING TO SHOW ALL THE TIME. That's the entire point! The value gets included into whatever input you have by way of {INPUT} like *all* the other custom fields.

If you don't use 'Show Enclosed Within Text', you get precisely the behaviour I described. Which is, in itself not consistent with the others but for a setting whose empty value is just as meaningful as a non-empty value, you have to break protocol.

There is no bug here.

Burke ♞ Knight

Okay, then how do I set the checkbox up to show the image if the box is checked?

Arantor

Two images.

One with 'Yes' in the filename, one with 'No' in the filename and use {INPUT} to select which.

Burke ♞ Knight

That would work...LOL
And I bet I could come up with a nice image for the no.... ;)

Advertisement: