Can a username be considered intellectual property?

Started by bearpaw, September 28, 2014, 10:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bearpaw

Typically we get 1 or 2 requests per year from members who get upset over something and want removed from the forum. At first they were removed but then we learned that most eventually come back and want their username back so we adopted a policy of not deleting usernames. We tell members to not login if they don't want to participate.

I have a forum member who wants his username removed from the forum, he says his username is his intellectual property. Is that a legitimate claim? Does he have a legal standing to request the removal of his username?

vbgamer45

Only way to find out is to contact a lawyer. I would say no though. Most places don't allow you to delete accounts completely due to numerous reasons such as keeping a history/log in case something happens.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

Well, in Europe there are laws about deletion of accounts and removal of personal data.

But certainly in the UK, a username is not considered even personal data, let alone intellectual property. The nearest you'd get in the UK is if someone registered a username that was also a trademark or possibly a company name, then it gets a bit murkier (especially if it is, say, "<trademark>sucks") but as a general rule the answer seems to be no.

Burke ♞ Knight

Even if he does, as admin, you can change the username and the display name. Change them to something like Anonymous or Guest, which should suit him.

Antes

w/o facts or court order s/he has no superior power over your site/content/members. Impersonating someone is a crime in international law. Still you have right to not act till you get proper information from legal authorities.

Kindred

The only leg he has to stand on is
A- he used his real name or personally identifiable nickname for his name
B- he used a trademarked name for which he has rights to use and thus protect.

In all other cases... No.

That would be like me claiming that white wolf stole my owned username for term for vampires...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: