News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

A possible improvement to the download page?

Started by Fambida, September 28, 2014, 12:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambida

I've done a couple SMF installations now, and I've found your download page to be mildly unfriendly to those of us that ssh into a linux box with no form of control panel. The problem is that the link on the download page for .tar.gz (it's the same way for zip and bz also)  is "http://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?thanks;filename=smf_2-0-8_install.tar.gz" instead of a direct link to the file at "http://mirror.ord.simplemachines.org/index.php/smf_2-0-8_install.tar.gz".

I find that the easiest way to download SMF is to use wget to directly download it to the directory I want it in (/var/www/ or /var/www/html depending), and then untar it there. This is definitely easier, for some of us at least, than downloading to one machine, then re-uploading to our servers. But, to do so I need to examine the actual source of the thank you page and copy it from there.

I understand many folks have control panels and such, but I think it would be a nice option to have an obvious direct download link for those of us using ssh on non-managed boxes. As it stands now I have to open up the page source to find the link for wget to use, instead of just having a convenient direct link.

This is obviously not a pressing issue or anything but I think it would be very helpful to some of us, and very easy to implement.

LiroyvH

You can just right-click on the "try again" link on the thank you page and copy that you know :P
Save it for future reference perhaps. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Fambida

Ha. I absolutely will remember that, assuming I have the misfortune of needing to reinstall again. (I don't think I will, and all my problems so far have not been the fault of SMF but of my VPS hosts)

I do however still think a direct link would be a nice option, and it would literally take a minute or two to implement. You guys actually made SMF too well, so no excuses.  ;)

Advertisement: