News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Set file permission

Started by Omebolle, October 01, 2014, 07:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omebolle

The following smiley directories are not writable: default, x, x, x

I get this message when trying to add some new smileys, been looking around the forum for a solution how to set the files writable, but can't find it...

SMF 2.0 RC5

Justyne

It's easier to do this via FTP or your hosting interface.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Omebolle

Yep, did that, click right on the folder and the owner "write" boxes is checked, I used 755

Justyne

What about the folder the smileys are in?
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Illori

Quote from: Omebolle on October 01, 2014, 07:00:06 AM
SMF 2.0 RC5

you should really consider upgrading to 2.0.8, you are missing many patches for security.

Omebolle

Don't start... I've been trying to upgrade ever since the version after mine, but it never works so I gave up trying that. It all looks so easy, but with me it never works...
Back to the topic...
The smiley folder is set on 755 with the same boxes checked.

kat

Has that been propagated through the sub-directories, too?

Omebolle

If you mean the option below *recurse into sub-directries*, then.. yes

kat

Might be an idea to contact your host, then. I suspect that you don't have CHOWN ownership of the files on your site...

Omebolle

The answer of the host One.com  about CHOWN is this
Mark L: We are also not familiar with that

Mark L: Also, we do not support scripting issues

kat

That's ridiculous! Even my cat knows about CHOWN! Even if they use a Windows server, which uses "cacls", instead, they should know what you mean. They must be AWFUL!

Give them this link:

http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?chown

Omebolle

Can't help that, but thanks for the help, I'll leave it as it is. Seems to be above my expertise as a rookie.

kat

Even if you were a total expert, there's nothing you could do. Your host can change that. You can't.

Kindred

Quote from: Omebolle on October 01, 2014, 07:23:28 AM
Don't start... I've been trying to upgrade ever since the version after mine, but it never works so I gave up trying that. It all looks so easy, but with me it never works...

I feel that I must step in here...

you are 6 (soon to be 7) revisions behind in security releases. This is not something that you should wave your hand and say "well, I tried and it just didn't work".  Your site is insecure. period. Your users' data is insecure because of your choice...

If you need help with the upgrade, talk to us...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Omebolle

Seems I must have done something right with the file permission setting. I gave it ONE last try and  to my surprise it all worked. New smileys added.

I may even go for the upgrade tomorrow  ::)

Omebolle

I already see problems... "This archive will upgrade/reset your forum to a clean install of the latest version and will remove all modifications".

Kindred

yes, indeed it will.

There is no "patch" way to upgrade from any of the RC versions.
This means that you will have to use the large upgrade - and yes, that overwrites ALL standard forum files and will thus remove all changes made by mods.

It just means that you will have to reinstall mods after the upgrade...

(and I will note - If you had upgraded to 2.0 "gold" when it came out, you would be able to actually use the patches instead.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Omebolle

Then tell me how I can get these mods back in the forum after the upgrade
Bad Behavior compatible with 2.0 RC5, 2.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.4, 2.0.6, 2.0.7 –
Notcaptcha - compatible with 2.0.8???

These stopped all unwanted bots till now

Kindred

Install the new versions of those mods...   And read the FAQ on how to install a mod which is not specifically calling out your version number...  Hint it's called emulate.
Слaва
Украинi

Omebolle

Thanks for the push in the right direction, seems "bad behavior" and "not capthca" work in the last version 8)
Still hoping for an "inline placement of pictures" mod.

Advertisement: