News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Avatar's with transparent backgrounds become black in background - GD problem?

Started by Biology Forums, October 01, 2014, 04:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biology Forums

When I upload an avatar that has a transparent background, it uploads with a black background. I tried it on a remote server with a fresh install of 1.x, and this problem didn't occur. I was thinking perhaps it's a GD image function issue on my server. Anyone know where to start with this?

Kindred

basically, the issue is that your resizing function is removing the transparency
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Biology Forums

Quote from: Kindred on October 01, 2014, 04:25:50 PM
basically, the issue is that your resizing function is removing the transparency

Interesting, so is it a back-end server thing?

Arantor

Yes.

GD requires special work to handle transparency with imagesavealpha and imagealphablending. I don't think it does it properly in 1.1, not sure about 2.0 off hand.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Arantor on October 01, 2014, 04:46:20 PM
Yes.

GD requires special work to handle transparency with imagesavealpha and imagealphablending. I don't think it does it properly in 1.1, not sure about 2.0 off hand.

The same image uploaded fine on a remote server housing SMF 1.x. Any recommendations on GD plugins I should look at? Maybe something wasn't installed activated...

Advertisement: