News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Domain hosting and smf setup questions.

Started by DaddyFish, October 01, 2014, 07:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddyFish

OK... so I'm a new charter member now. Weeee!

I'd like to setup smf on a new domain.  I have to yet decide on a domain name or hosting and was looking for suggestions.  I have tried iPage only to find that their hosting does not include root-writeable access on their "one-click" iforum installs unless I choose a VPS plan...which I did.... but long story short, I've dropped them before even completing after chatting with cust service.

Does smf offer any solution(s) and if so, how much?  I'd like to keep everything centralized.

The ultimate goal is a "seniors" forum, with a live chat and payment mod for membership and/or donations.  Maybe others, but hence the need to chmod 777 when installing packages.  Coffee is on me.  Thanks!

-DF

Oldiesmann

Try the Paid Hosts and Hosting board for suggestions on hosting.

For domains, name.com and namecheap.com are both good choices.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

JBlaze

Stay away from anything offered by GoDaddy...
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: zilladotexe on October 01, 2014, 08:18:37 PM
Stay away from anything offered by GoDaddy...
I've heard that they are good for domains but to be avoided like plague as regards hosting.
Also CoreISP's Graywebhost is cheap and I guess efficient since he is a server team member. (I hope so since I will be moving there!!!)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

ARG01

If history repeats itself I will probably be banished from the kingdom for saying this but, I host all of my domains at GoDaddy and my sites at HostGator.
GD for domain price and HG for hosting price, performance and service. I have never had an issue with either concerning the services provided. I have also never experienced any downtime with HG in the 10 years that I have been hosting there.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Like I said, they are good for domains but freaking terrible about hosting. (GD)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

DaddyFish

Holy Carp!  I never expected such a fast response and by so many!  Thank You!  :)

I've had run-ins with GoDaddy in the past - mainly with hosting.  So yes, I avoid them like the plague also.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.  I'm off to explore a bit now.  Again, if I haven't said it enough already, SMF has been the BEST forum EVER.

SMF rules... phpBB drools.

50 bucks well spent.  Thanks gang :)

Advertisement: