News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Google Fonts in SMF 2.0x - Help!

Started by Destrogath, October 01, 2014, 11:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destrogath

I cannot get the Google Fonts code to load within my theme's index.template. Every time I try I get a "template parse error!".

Google is telling me to use the following code within my <head> tag, <link href='http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Cinzel'; rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am even trying it with the default SMF 2.0 theme, no luck.

mashby

Turn your frown upside-down (as in use " instead of '):
<link href="http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Cinzel" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
Also, keep in mind that alone won't get you very far unless you've done additional work in your CSS files to use that CSS declaration.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Destrogath

Still getting a Template Parse Error. Is there anywhere specific I need to place it within the <head> tag?

mashby

How are you inserting that? A few lines of code above and below where you are inserting that would be helpful, if not, the entire index.template.php file as an attachment.
- James M. Barrie

Destrogath

Here is my <head> tag within the index.template.php

<head>';

// The ?fin20 part of this link is just here to make sure browsers don't cache it wrongly.
echo '
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/index', $context['theme_variant'], '.css?fin20" />';

// Some browsers need an extra stylesheet due to bugs/compatibility issues.
foreach (array('ie7', 'ie6', 'webkit') as $cssfix)
if ($context['browser']['is_' . $cssfix])
echo '
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['default_theme_url'], '/css/', $cssfix, '.css" />';

// RTL languages require an additional stylesheet.
if ($context['right_to_left'])
echo '
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="', $settings['theme_url'], '/css/rtl.css" />';

// Here comes the JavaScript bits!
echo '
<script type="text/javascript" src="', $settings['default_theme_url'], '/scripts/script.js?fin20"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="', $settings['theme_url'], '/scripts/theme.js?fin20"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
var smf_theme_url = "', $settings['theme_url'], '";
var smf_default_theme_url = "', $settings['default_theme_url'], '";
var smf_images_url = "', $settings['images_url'], '";
var smf_scripturl = "', $scripturl, '";
var smf_iso_case_folding = ', $context['server']['iso_case_folding'] ? 'true' : 'false', ';
var smf_charset = "', $context['character_set'], '";', $context['show_pm_popup'] ? '
var fPmPopup = function ()
{
if (confirm("' . $txt['show_personal_messages'] . '"))
window.open(smf_prepareScriptUrl(smf_scripturl) + "action=pm");
}
addLoadEvent(fPmPopup);' : '', '
var ajax_notification_text = "', $txt['ajax_in_progress'], '";
var ajax_notification_cancel_text = "', $txt['modify_cancel'], '";
// ]]></script>';

echo '
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=', $context['character_set'], '" />
<meta name="description" content="', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '" />', !empty($context['meta_keywords']) ? '
<meta name="keywords" content="' . $context['meta_keywords'] . '" />' : '', '
<title>', $context['page_title_html_safe'], '</title>';

// Please don't index these Mr Robot.
if (!empty($context['robot_no_index']))
echo '
<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />';

// Present a canonical url for search engines to prevent duplicate content in their indices.
if (!empty($context['canonical_url']))
echo '
<link rel="canonical" href="', $context['canonical_url'], '" />';

// Show all the relative links, such as help, search, contents, and the like.
echo '
<link rel="help" href="', $scripturl, '?action=help" />
<link rel="search" href="', $scripturl, '?action=search" />
<link rel="contents" href="', $scripturl, '" />';

// If RSS feeds are enabled, advertise the presence of one.
if (!empty($modSettings['xmlnews_enable']) && (!empty($modSettings['allow_guestAccess']) || $context['user']['is_logged']))
echo '
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="', $context['forum_name_html_safe'], ' - ', $txt['rss'], '" href="', $scripturl, '?type=rss;action=.xml" />';

// If we're viewing a topic, these should be the previous and next topics, respectively.
if (!empty($context['current_topic']))
echo '
<link rel="prev" href="', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.0;prev_next=prev" />
<link rel="next" href="', $scripturl, '?topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.0;prev_next=next" />';

// If we're in a board, or a topic for that matter, the index will be the board's index.
if (!empty($context['current_board']))
echo '
<link rel="index" href="', $scripturl, '?board=', $context['current_board'], '.0" />';

// Output any remaining HTML headers. (from mods, maybe?)
echo $context['html_headers'];

echo '

</head>

mashby

And where in that block of code is there a reference to the Google-hosted font?
- James M. Barrie

Destrogath

I was just showing you the head tag without the block of code for google. I've tried it in multiple places with no luck.  Any suggestions on where I should put it?

http://www.google.com/fonts#UsePlace:use/Collection:Cinzel

The link on how google says to do it. I've used it in wordpress with no issues.

mashby

That is indeed the most likely proper place. But I have to ask this question. Just by referencing that one line of code doesn't mean it will be used in real-life. In another CSS file, are you using/referencing that font?
- James M. Barrie

Destrogath

In my current theme, yes I am trying to use the "Cinzel" font. I've done this before with WordPress and it was a non issue. I'm not understanding why I am getting a template parse error after just putting in a line of code that allows you to call a google font via the CSS.

Kindred

And, please paste the code that you have AFTER you add your one line....
I am betting that you are either putting it in the wrong place or not using the code that ashby suggested.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: