I don't want to allow users to see threads which they didn't started, but how?

Started by Ramesh8248, October 02, 2014, 04:21:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramesh8248

I want to create a board where my users can't access threads which they didn't start. I want it for some security reason. But I don't know how to do it? Please tell me if there is any answer.
FREE SEO HELP [nofollow]
SEO FORUM [nofollow]

Kindred

No. There is no good answer.  What you are asking for is contrary to what a forum actually is/does...

What you are asking for is, essentially a help desk/ ticket system.
So...   You could use the simple desk mod...  Which adds a ticketing system...  But you can not do it within the forum itself
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JBlaze

There is a permission to disallow replying to any topics but your own, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to add a permission that disallows viewing of topics you didn't create. I'd have to look into it a bit more when I get home, though.

Kindred is correct, though. What you are basically asking for is a helpdesk system. Take a look at SimpleDesk as it should offer what you need.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Arantor

The problem with viewing is that all the selection queries are board-level not topic-level (outside of approval and even that isn't quite 100% correct in SMF 2.0)

And you'd have to modify every single place that posts are exposed - boards, topics, posting, quoting, recent posts, search, unread, unreadreplies, RSS feeds, SSI, just to name a few.

Antechinus

Suki did write a mod for this a while back (board level view permissions). Check her mods out.

Also, standard feature in Elkarte BTW. I think it was made standard in 2.1 too.

Arantor

It wasn't made standard in 2.1 as far as I remember. In no small part because of the performance penalty. Post moderation's performance hit is bad enough which is why it's off by default. Topic selectivity suddenly amplifies it. It's one of the reasons I deliberately didn't butcher up a board to make SimpleDesk where it *naturally* has that separation between its topics. And trying to optimise that sucker was an insane mission.

As for Suki's mod - it still has one thing that cannot be fixed: any mods that do anything with topics won't care. You then have to be *extremely* careful with things like portals for stuff like that.

Advertisement: