Best Solution for a lost cause? / MySQL DB Experts Required!

Started by 420Connect.co.uk, October 02, 2014, 05:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

420Connect.co.uk

Hi again everyone,  :P

I'll try my best to summarize my situation and hopefully someone can suggest a solution..

I have backups of my database and files although through numerous trial and error with new MOD's and playing around, I now have a problem where I have lots of "traces" of old things within my forum and database .. mostly folders, mod's etc. and this is really buggering up installing new mods and generally having my forum online, working like it should..
I'm trying to battle with one MOD to work whilst discovering older MOD's are still semi-there etc. and it drives me bloody insane lol

I feel just giving up but I so badly want to overcome the issues and have it work as I want.. :(

Another option I am considering is to delete all my uploaded files and begin with a complete fresh forum, then bit by bit add all my customisations but I don't want to lose my forum content and hours of tweaking settings :( (Is there a way I can remove traces of deleted files and mod's etc. from my database? or a way to only keep the posts, members and topics/boards etc?)

Another issue I've came across is file permissions, and certain MOD's / the package manager causing 500 errors by setting permissions to 777 etc.

It's hard to explain fully but I am looking for the simplest way to either remove all traces of things that are getting in the way and keep my members/posts/boards etc..

Apologies if it's hard to follow, I'll try my best to answer any direct questions and appreciate any help!
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

kat

The stuff in the database shouldn't cause much of a slowdown. :) Clearing stuff, from there, using phpmyadmin, is always likely to be a bit fraught.

Before you do anything, backup everything, so that you have something to restore, in the event of a visit from Mr. Fukkup. ;)

What you could do, is delete everything, EXCEPT Settings.php and Settings_bak.php, and upload a fresh set of files (Obviously, don't overwrite Settings.php).

You could, then, start installing the mods and themes, that you want, from scratch.

As for the 500 error, I'd normally suspect file ownership (CHOWN, rather than CHMOD). You could ask your host to give you full ownership, if they haven't, already.

420Connect.co.uk

Thanks for the reply K@,
I can always count on youu!  ;D

I began doing as you said, uploading a fresh set of files etc. but I do believe there is underlying issues in my DB with old files and mods (particularly prettyURL's)

I've just tried to load up my forum after a fresh install and my url goes to:

/forum/?pretty;board=forum.0

and says:

Not Found

The requested URL /index.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.27 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.27 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_perl/2.0.6 Perl/v5.10.1 Server at 420connect.info Port 80

- Do you know of a method to extract only vital DB parts so I can start afresh with the DB?
www.420Connect.co.uk ~ A Social Network For The #CannabisCommunity ~ Come say "High" ;)

Kindred

If you delete everything...  You also would not want to delete the attachments or the avatars directories.
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

And the 500 error has nothing to do with chown.
Your host does not allow chmod 777.
This is not uncommon...   The max you should need, in most cases is 755 for directories and 644 for files
If 755/644 does not work, THEN talk to your host...

Your problem with the url is due to pretty urls...   Delete your htaccess file.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

420Connect.co.uk

Thanks for the reply Kindred,

I've added my own folders to avatars, smileys and a theme and never had any custom attachments so left that as is.

(Thanks for the permissions info!)

& I'm about to delete the htaccess file although I have a few of them..
should I delete them all?

.htaccess
.htaccess.bak
.htaccess.preinstall
.htaccess_10010949

Thanks

Advertisement: