Inadvertently converted the database and data to UTF-8 on my forum can't sign in

Started by thalpal, October 02, 2014, 06:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thalpal

I inadvertently converted the database and data to UTF-8 on my forum and now I cannot sign in. Is there anyway to revert? I do not have a recent backup and don't want to lose the posts.  smf 1.1

Any solutions?

margarett

Database conversion shouldn't cause such issues. Can you restore your password?
If not, check the last point of this page:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/I_accidentally_lost_my_admin_account!_What_can_I_do

You cannot revert the change to UTF8. So unless you have a backup, we'll need to fix whatever problems might arise.
The first thing you need to do (after being able to login as admin :P ) is to load a UTF8 language pack
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

thalpal

I cannot sign in to do anything. When attempting to sign in, I get a blank page with this line at the top, $db_character_set = 'utf8'; ?>

margarett

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

thalpal

How do I find that? I am not familiar at all with this at all, so please bear with me. I am the content person for the website and had nothing to do with building it.

margarett

Yeah, you need FTP access (or cPanel) to your hosting to retrieve the file...

thalpal

margarett

Well yes, but you (or who manages the files) also has to access. It's a core SMF file so you should be able to access it easily ;)

thalpal

margarett, I really have to thank you for your help. Mark, from TNT took your instructions and fixed the problem. The site is very important to its users, and a big thanks from all of them!

K@, yes that is my site. Thanks to margarett it is back online.

margarett

You're welcome ;)

For future reference:
Quote from: margarett on October 02, 2014, 09:53:26 PM
OK, there is an error in the file. At the end of it, you find this

if (!file_exists($sourcedir) && file_exists($boarddir . '/Sources'))
        $sourcedir = $boarddir . '/Sources';

?>

$db_character_set = 'utf8';
?>

This is wrong, there 2 PHP closing tags. --> ?>
You or them should remove the first one that you see, so that it becomes:

if (!file_exists($sourcedir) && file_exists($boarddir . '/Sources'))
        $sourcedir = $boarddir . '/Sources';

$db_character_set = 'utf8';
?>

Advertisement: