News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Liking system

Started by famous, October 02, 2014, 11:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famous

Like face punch or coderhire! You can make your likes and what the icons &names look nice and say! For example a zombie that says dumb. When some one clicks it on the left it will pop up and x1 when another users votes a different one it goes zombie pic x 1 when some one puts their mouse on it, it says dumb :) You vote on the right of the post and you can make your own likes and images and votes! This would be great for most community!

Arantor

A simple like system is built into the next version of SMF (2.1, currently in development)

Something as complex as Facepunch's multiple rankings was discussed and ruled out by the developers as simply being unsuitable for the majority of sites.

br360

There is this facepunch mod if you're willing to pay for it- http://www.smfpacks.com/page/sa=facepunch

Kindred

Shuban...    That won't work on 2.0.x..... 
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

meirav

I liked Good Post/Bad Post, but it doesn't work with 2.0.9.

I would like the Likes system in 2.1 better if it kept track of the number of Likes a person has received, in addition to the likes an individual post has received.

Kindred

why? The whole point of replacing karma with likes is that likes target the POST, not the USER.
If we wanted to target the user, we would have left the Karma intact
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I can see the argument for calculating the total number of likes a user receives (in addition to the number of likes a post receives) but I deliberately chose not to include it. It has a curiously unpleasant facet of gamification when actually applied in a forum, worse in fact than post count does.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

I hadn't at all studied what other forum systems do with this stuff and what tends to happen in communities when applied ;)

Kindred

nope... you (and I) just guess this stuff off the top of our heads...

(I haven't used Karma for years, because of the "gaming" aspect of it)
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Obviously we do ;D

It's not like I even went out and bought licences for IPB, vB and XF just to see what functionality they offer, or anything ;)

FreeholdMarshall

QuoteI hadn't at all studied what other forum systems do with this stuff and what tends to happen in communities when applied
Arantor
I have about 11 years of dealing with the Like/Dislike system as used in Vbulletin forums.
On one forum in particular with over 10,000 members, I've only seen the dislike post feature abused by maybe two or three people over the years
I do consider the Like post feature a positive asset to a forum. Vbulletin combines the Like/Dislike post feature with forum user reputation.
User post count along with user reputations are factored in giving additional weight to Likes/Dislikes given by users with high reputation and high post counts.

Steve

I'm wondering why you posted essentially the same thing in two separate threads that have already been decided upon. And in this one, you're talking to someone who hasn't been here since mid-April. Just curious. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Kindred

regardless of what Vb might do ---   that seems overly complicated, unnecessary and, well, to be honest, not something I would want to have us implement....
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: