News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Clean it up?

Started by fobnicat, October 03, 2014, 12:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fobnicat

Hi all,

My users requested the ability to submit their input to shoutbox through hitting the [ Enter ] key rather than clicking [ Submit ]

I did this:

echo '
<textarea onkeyup="if (event.keyCode == 13) { this.form.submit(); return false; }" name="shout"  rows="3" cols="30" style="width: 96%"></textarea>
<br />
<input type="submit" value="', $txt['ezp_shoutbox_add_shout'], '" />

</form>';
}

But it seems there should be a cleaner way to do it...  When using this method, the cursor still moves down a line giving the impression that it did not take, then after a moment it submits and the page reloads.  Any thoughts?

TehCraw

If you don't care about having more than one line of text, you could change the textarea to a field and just let the form submit itself as normal when you press enter.
Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand. - Martin Fowler

Night09

keydown not up. your telling it not to submit until the key comes up so it types a line.

Aquilo

<form action=""><textarea onkeyDown="if (!event.shiftKey && event.keyCode == 13) { this.form.submit(); return false; }" name="shout"  rows="3" cols="30" style="width: 96%"></textarea></form>

This would allow more than 1 line.

facebook with submit comments on pressing enter but will let you add new lines as long as you press shift+enter. i like that so thought I'd suggest it!  8)

I love doing silly testing on jsfiddle, enter will give an alert in this... lol
http://jsfiddle.net/8h50hyo9/

Advertisement: