"Cannot access attachments upload path"

Started by Ron., October 03, 2014, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron.

Hi,

The title of this topic is the error message I get when I check the attachments "File Maintenance" page under "attachments." When users try to upload attachments they get an error saying the upload path cannot be found.

I have run "repair_settings" and the path appears to be correct and matches exactly what I see when I look at it under FileZilla (and it matches the format of other pathways), though repair_settings has no recommended value for the attachments path.

I have also ensured that the attachments folder is writable.

Any advice?

Night09

Ron.

"777" doesn't work. Something about Windows and FileZilla. But, I have go to the host server and ensured that the folder was mark as "writable."

Night09

You can check permissions through Admin > Main > Package Manager > File Permissions. You can check the current permissions then you can use the built in FTP to make the changes so you wont have the FileZilla issue hopefully.

Ron.

It is currently set to 0777. I get an error message when I try to change it to 7777, saying values must be between 0444 and 0777.

Night09

0777 is right so either theres another reason its not accessable or it may be the host causing it. Try delete the folder and recreate it again or upload it from the SMF pack.

Illori

Quote from: Night09 on October 04, 2014, 01:09:22 PM
0777 is right so either theres another reason its not accessable or it may be the host causing it. Try delete the folder and recreate it again or upload it from the SMF pack.

if you do that on the server and there are attachments in it... you just deleted all your attachments [and avatars], not a good idea.

Night09

Quote from: Illori on October 04, 2014, 03:10:47 PM
Quote from: Night09 on October 04, 2014, 01:09:22 PM

if you do that on the server and there are attachments in it... you just deleted all your attachments [and avatars], not a good idea.

First post implies no one can actually upload any attachments.

Illori

that does not mean the folder is empty and had not been used in the past.

Ron.

To clarify: there are several years' worth of attachments and they can be seen with both FileZilla and from the admin procedures. For years there were no problems, then the host provider arbitrarily decided to improve things and all H broke loose. I've cleaned most stuff up and got it functioning, thanks to help form people on this forum, but uploading new attachments will not work.

Chalky

Just out of interest, have you checked the setting for maximum size of attachment folder in you attachment settings?  Have you tried making it bigger?

Night09

As pointed out and as I should have said backup the folder first.

There is something you could try as well. Make a new folder called attached for instance and then set the path to that and see if it allows an upload.  Make sure you set it to 777.

If it does rename the old folder attachments2 and rename the new one attachments then retest. If it works still then copy the old content into the new one.

Ron.

I am starting to think all this about permissions and new folders is missing something critical. I tried creating a new "attachments" folder and uploading to it, and here's the message I got:

"Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information."

To make sure that it isn't a file size issue I changed the setting to no limits on sizes. And, for the record, my test upload files was about 20KB.

Ron.

The problem is fixed. I re-uploaded the attachments folder with "binary" selected as the mode of transfer and now everything works.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but this can now be closed.

Night09

Glad to hear you found a fix and thanks for posting a solution. ;)

Advertisement: