News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again.

Started by Chalky, October 06, 2014, 07:20:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalky

Yes, this old chestnut again.  Just wondering whether anybody has any new ideas for this.  I'm now at the point where I need to prune yet none of my admin pruning functions work and they never have worked.  I have nothing toggled which is the usual suggestion.  I just keep getting "Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again."  I have a ton of mods and template hacks and I think I first noticed the issue when I was running 2.0.3.  Now on 2.0.9 and like I said, I have always always had this error.

* Chalky gets comfy with a good book

Illori

Chalky

No, header isn't collapsed.  I've switched to default theme many times just to collapse and expand.  I'm using Actualism theme which doesn't have a collapsible header.  I've tried with the admin sidebar and without too, no joy.

Night09

Burke ♞ Knight

What would that have to do with it?

All my sites are set to that, and I have no issues.
Even my test sites that I test not having it set that way, no issues.

Night09

Quote from: BurkeKnight on October 06, 2014, 08:40:26 AM
What would that have to do with it?

All my sites are set to that, and I have no issues.
Even my test sites that I test not having it set that way, no issues.

Because early versions had a similar issue and URLs made a difference...

Chalky

My domain doesn't have the www and all my forum urls reflect that but my host has the proper forwarding from www to the correct domain.

Night09

Quote from: Chalky on October 06, 2014, 09:59:21 AM
My domain doesn't have the www and all my forum urls reflect that but my host has the proper forwarding from www to the correct domain.

Try adding the http/:www parts to your forums paths and see if it makes any difference.

Kindred

night...   you have no idea what you are talking about.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Night09

Quote from: Kindred on October 07, 2014, 06:23:30 AM
night...   you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sorry I think its you who has no idea what your talking about. Unless everyone who has fixed this error because links were not continguous is a liar...

It may not be the solution but unless you have a reason to explain why it isnt the cause and tell us the answer dont rip into me.

Burke ♞ Knight

Night,

Like I said, I run well over 12 SMF forums.
I use http://www. in 90% of them, and the rest without it.
NOT one site has this issue, with or without the http://www.

So before you go ripping into the Project Manager like that, why don't you wonder why the idea worked for those others, if it did.
Also, if it did work for them, why not post links to the topics, so we can see.

Night09

You want answers go look..

Nothing more to say in Chalkys thread.

Burke ♞ Knight

Well, lets just say, I have not even seen something like that talked about here on the site, so that's why I am asking for links.

If you have proof that this worked, why refuse to post the links to the topics that prove it?

That is what I am meaning.

Kindred

Night... I run 4 sites without www --   I actually use htaccess to bounce anyone who hits the www to the non-www site.

Therefore, what I said is absolutely correct.
Assuming Chalky has indeed configured her server correctly (and she says that she has), the www or non-www is a non-issue.
The issue that some people have had in the past is that they configured the site one way, but tried to access it using the other way.  THAT will cause problems...  but that is exactly what Chalky said that she configured correctly to avoid.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

blackbear4110

Actually, I'm setting up a forum, and have noticed that from time to time I get the same "Unable to verify referring url.  Please go back and try again."  error.  I've noticed this most when I try to log out, but a couple times when I was trying to access the Admin section.
After reading Night's suggestion, I noticed that my site does not have the www. and all the urls follow suit.  When I added www. to the url, then I was able to log out and log back in, and everything is working properly.

Quote from: Kindred on October 07, 2014, 08:06:27 PM
Assuming Chalky has indeed configured her server correctly (and she says that she has), the www or non-www is a non-issue.
The issue that some people have had in the past is that they configured the site one way, but tried to access it using the other way.  THAT will cause problems...
I assume this is the issue I have, and I'm wondering how to configure my site?  I'm through GoDaddy, if that makes a difference.

Kindred

Look in your server settings. What is your board URL set to?
Слaва
Украинi

blackbear4110

Ahh, it was set without the www.  I added www. to it, and now all the links are adjusted accordingly.  Hopefully that will eliminate my problem.  Thanks!

Siirist

Quote from: blackbear4110 on May 15, 2015, 11:38:28 AM
Ahh, it was set without the www.  I added www. to it, and now all the links are adjusted accordingly.  Hopefully that will eliminate my problem.  Thanks!

Checked mine because Welcome / Goodbye MOD was doing something similar on my forum and sure enough, no "www", so I added as well.

Thanks Kindred!  ;)  I keep saying that.  :laugh:

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Night09

Not being funny but isnt this exactly what I said in the beginning?

Siirist

Quote from: Night09 on May 16, 2015, 09:52:30 AM
Not being funny but isnt this exactly what I said in the beginning?

Quote from: Night09 on October 06, 2014, 08:24:31 AM
Is your forums urls set to  http://www.  ?

Yup. Sometimes I don't go all the way back to the OP and search forward.

That said,  THANKS Night09!!!  ;)
We just need to learn to listen.   :P
Thanks again for your continuous support, because I have see you help many times.

Be Well,
Siirist
Needed information:
- What's your SMF version?, What MODs are installed? What Theme(s) are you using? Have you backed up your database?

--> At least 50% of the questions asked are answered in the Online Manual <--
Mods for ver 1.x will NOT run on ver 2.x

Advertisement: