Member Groups with individual post based Group icons

Started by OGVfounder, October 07, 2014, 05:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OGVfounder

Greetings,

I have an SMF 2.x site that needs a special touch to it.  (Mod)  I was unable to find a mod that has this capability.

My example is going to based on my site.  hxxp:onlinegamingveterans.com [nonactive]

My users will have the option to choose their own member group which is the branch of military that they belong too upon registration.

What i need is a mod that allows custom post based icons for that specific group.

ie:
Member one chooses Membergroup Army
His post counts will represent the Army Military Ranks

Member two chooses Membergroup Marines
His post counts will represent the Marine Ranks

I would need the ability to edit each post count group for each individual membergroup.

As it currently stands the post count groups apply to all member groups and i need to separate them.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.  I use SMF for nearly all of my sites.

You contact me via
Email: [email protected]
Teamspeak: hxxp:ts.toparma.com [nonactive] (NeoUSMCVet)
Steam: NeoUSMCVet
Web: onlinegamingveterans.com  (Register and PM)

Arantor

Unfortunately this is a fairly complex set of changes to deal with because SMF doesn't work like that.

OGVfounder

I figured as much when i was looking at it.  But anyway here would be an example (photo edit from my site)

To put it into perspective

Membergroup:          Post Based Group:

Army                               Army Rank
Marines                           Marine Rank
Navy                                  etc.
Air Force                           etc.
Coast Guard                       etc.
National Guard                   etc.
Civilian                             etc.

Member Groups would need their own individual Post based groups

Just occured to me.  How about a mod that allows you to create individual Post based groups and you can choose which one to choose in the membergroup creation.

Arantor

Almost as bad. SMF simply has no ability to handle multiple types of post count group, and there are serious consequences internally since this impacts things like the permissions system.

margarett

Why not hide the post count group and just use "normal" membergroups? Based on your image above, I see no need for post count membergroups...

This:

Membergroup:          Post Based Group:

Army                               Army Rank
Marines                           Marine Rank
Navy                                  etc.
Air Force                           etc.
Coast Guard                       etc.
National Guard                   etc.
Civilian                             etc.

Seems a 1:1 relation..
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Arantor

You'd have to manually manage them or have custom code to promote them as posts were handled - which is no mean feat even when it's done for post counts (because dedicated columns with very efficient CASE statements make this easy) but additional groups make this an utter pain.

OGVfounder

For each branch there is at least 10 Enlisted Ranks and 5+ officer Ranks.    Thats allot of posts to read and change manually.   There are mods that allow you to display two membergroups  but i need to display serveal post count group icons among server different members

Membergroup Marines  would have a postcount icon such as
default  - Private (icon)
5 posts - PFC (icon)
25 Posts - LCPL (icon)
ETC.

Just having a member group would not serve the purpose i need.

would just need support for multiple post count groups and the abiltiy to set it to its appropriate membergroup

In regards to the permissions, all the permissions will remain the same across each member group.

Kindred

It is still not a minor task that you are requesting...

I thought about doing something similar for the war games that I play, and looked at the code a while back...   It's not simple, and is potentially fairly major,
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

OGVfounder

I gotcha about that, i was merely elaborating about the above mention of turning off post counts.

Advertisement: