News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Install gone wrong???

Started by tranhiep_116, October 09, 2014, 09:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tranhiep_116

My host sent me an e-mail saying I had an old version of phpBB on my site and needed to upgrade it. For some reason, this file was in a folder for my smf forum. Don't ask me why cause I did it several years ago and then never used it so I figured I'd just delete the folders from the smf file and be done with it.
Apparently that wasn't the way to get rid of it so my host took over and suspended my forum including my smf site, since that's where the phpBB files were and upgraded the phpbb files, then deleted the database and removed the files from my site.
At that point, I wasn't showing any databases and my smf site was gone so they told me I had to reinstall smf and then they would release my database for my smf site.
I didn't understand how I was going to get my smf site back so they did everything for me, except downloading the full version of RC5 into my folder on my host site.
Once my site was up and running again, I was missing a lot of smileys I had added to the site. I am also missing some icons like the image that tells you there's a new reply to a post or new post.
If I right click the word new, it says the path to the icon is themes/default/images/english-utf8/new.gif.
The new gif is in a folder called English. I don't use utf8 so I'm not sure why it's being directed there unless it had something to do with the fact that the very first time I set up this site I used Fantastico.
All that changes several years ago when I switched the database for my forum to one that didn't include smf in the address bar.
But the strange thing is, if I use my mac computer that uses Safari for the browser, I can see the word new.
I can't see new when I use my pc with Windows 7 and ie8.

I was thinking I'd try reinstalling smf but which version should I use? The upgrade or the full version?
This is driving me nuts.

kat

Why not have both "english-utf8" and "english" directories, with the contents of both the same?

Although, if my host was like yours, I'd think of switching to a better one.

margarett

What a story...

Quote from: K@ on October 09, 2014, 10:13:38 AM
Although, if my host was like yours, I'd think of switching to a better one.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Chalky

I'll ditto that.  As for which version to install, if you're intending to use your existing database and if your old installation was an older version than 2.0 final (you mentioned RC5) then you should install the same version of SMF as your database and then upgrade to the latest version from there.  If your database is for a version 2.0 final or later, you're ok to install the latest version straight off and import your database into it.

tranhiep_116

Should i change my host?? I used 2.0 verson

Chalky

Any host that just deletes your websites is bad news....

tranhiep_116

I upgarade new version and every thing is okie. Thanks  :laugh:

Advertisement: