News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Uploading Backup of 1.1.x

Started by swaggaderby, October 09, 2014, 04:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swaggaderby

Please i lost my forum way back and i have a backup that i just found but am not quiet sure of the version i was on before the forum went off but it was 1.1.x something but not sure about the version is there a way around it and the backup file is in SQL.GZ...I dont know the version to install to test it out...so see if i still have my datas

kat

If you only have a file named "SQL.GZ", you only have the database. I just looked at my database for my SMF v1 forum and I can't see an SMF version, in there... :(

You could install that database and install an old version of SMF on it, to see what happens, I guess...

You can find all of the old versions, here:

http://download.simplemachines.org/?archive

Click on "Select Version", to see all the versions that're available.

Sir Osis of Liver

It's in smf_settings in 1.1.18 - look for smfVersion.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

kat

Ha! I didn't think of going into phpmyadmin!

Ta, matey! :)

Sir Osis of Liver

Never tried unzippng a sql.gz, maybe can see the tables that way.  Otherwise would have to create a new db and import the backup to view the settings.

- R. Waters

kat

I loaded the file into a hex editor, a binary editor and a text editor. The term "version" is there quite a few times. But, none had the SMF version, that I could see.

'course, at my age, the ol' eyes might not be as sharp as they once were. ;)

swaggaderby

Quote from: K@ on October 09, 2014, 04:26:36 PM
If you only have a file named "SQL.GZ", you only have the database. I just looked at my database for my SMF v1 forum and I can't see an SMF version, in there... :(

You could install that database and install an old version of SMF on it, to see what happens, I guess...

You can find all of the old versions, here:

http://download.simplemachines.org/?archive

Click on "Select Version", to see all the versions that're available.

Alright am doing that now...if i gat you correctly i should install an old version of smf den try uploading the database and see wah happens?because i tried opening it but it cant be opened by winrar....

kat

If you restore the database, first, using CPanel, you can point the new install to that database.

swaggaderby

Quote from: K@ on October 10, 2014, 06:03:26 AM
If you restore the database, first, using CPanel, you can point the new install to that database.
am not quiet sure i will know how to do that

margarett

First you need to know what's your version. And get that backup imported to phpmyadmin ;)

The most accurate path is to get an "install" package for your range (eg: 1.1.x or 2.0.x) but don't install it! Instead delete all install* files.
Then run repair settings and fix your database info and paths. Now you should have your forum running ;)

If it's 1.1.x you can consider load a large upgrade for 2.0.x in the end of this process :)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Sir Osis of Liver

You can create a new database in the MySQL Database section of your Cpanel.  The db will be empty.  Look for phpmyadmin in the same section, open it, and load the new db.  At the top you'll see an 'Import" link, use that to import your old db backup into the new db.  Once you've done that, phpmyadmin will display a list of tables in left column.  Click on 'smf_settings', then 'Browse' (up top).  The first item you see should be 'smfVersion', which is the version number of the forum that last ran that db.  Once you have that, you can install a new forum using the appropriate package from the link K@ posted, then run repair_settings.php to enter the new db credentials and fix all the paths.

Remember that the db and forum are two separate things.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: