News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

New background image not showing on forum

Started by Psychoduck, October 11, 2014, 11:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psychoduck

SMF 2.0.9
Theme: Ecology_SMF2
SMF Simple Portal

www.thechickenforum.co.uk

I replaced the theme backdrop image backdrop.png, the only difference being I added some other images to the backdrop.png image. So basically it's the same file same size etc. Just looks different.

Uploaded to the correct theme folder, checked in Admin Themes & Layout Settings, Modify Themes, found the theme, saw the  and found Ecology css file and looked at the image url to check it was ok, which it is.

Quotebackground: #4b372a url(../images/theme/backdrop.png) repeat-x;
   font: 78%/130% "Verdana", "Arial", "Helvetica", sans-serif;
   margin: 0 auto;
   padding: 15px 0;

And the new image doesn't show up on the forum or SMF Portal.

I've reuploaded it a few times checking it was uploaded correctly and still it doesn't show. Just the original backdrop.png image is showing, and that's no longer on the server.

Can someone explain what's going on, it's been driving me mad all afternoon.

Chalky

Hard refresh your browser, try Ctrl+F5. If that fails clear your browser cache..  If that fails clear your forum cache.

Psychoduck

I'd already done all that, and still the original image file shows and not the new image. It's so frustrating.

All I did was add a few cartoon chicken to the original image, saved and uploaded it. No reason why it shouldn't work, but it doesn't.

Totally at a loss now.

Chalky

Have you gone to the image through FTP and checked that the file currently on your server is the correct image?  It may not be correctly overwriting the old image if your server is out of space of if your file permissions are prohibiting it.

Antes

Try to access file directly maybe forum cache needs clear, if you still seeing the same image. Try to delete the image completely and upload new one and try again.

Psychoduck

Chalky: Yes I checked the image on the server through FTP and it's correct. There's lots of space left on the server. I keep it prune out the deadwood regularly.

I'm going to go through cpanel now and see whats on the server that way, it could be Filezilla I guess not overwriting the original file properly.

Will let you know when I've done that. It's got me puzzled thats for sure lol

Antes: I'd already cleared the forum cache and deleted the image and re-uploaded several times. Still only seeing the original image.

Chalky

I'm just seeing a mottled blue image, no chickens on it.  So the original image must be still there.

Psychoduck

The landing page is the old design mottled blue, I'm changing that shortly or else moving the site from the sub folder to the root folder.

You have to click on enter site to see the smf theme.

Sussed the image problem.

It appears that my hosting company are at fault.

I had the domain with .info extension and when it was due to expire, I bought the same domain name with .co.uk

It appears that the .info domain is still on the server and all the files are duplicated between the two domains. Strange it only happened with this one image. I've been using the .co.uk domain for over a year now and never had a problem before.

I'll be contacting the hosting company, as it's their blunder. I have a multi site hosting package. But going in via WHM it looks like all 5 slots are taken, instead of 4. Grrrr

Thanks everyone for your help. We'd never have guessed the problem eh?

Chalky

Whew, would never have guessed that!  I'm glad you've got it sorted  :)

Psychoduck

Me too lol It took about 5 hrs to find that.

Time I could have spent doing something more productive.

Thanks for your help though, much appreciated.

Forum Guy

I had the same problem after update to 209...

in my case Cloudflare was the culprit not showing the change - switch to developer mode (option) and it turned up.

Most confusing was the index.css preview (edit theme) showed the change instantly but not the forum itself.

Advertisement: