mySQL 5.6 compatibility

Started by apc, October 15, 2014, 08:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apc

My server is currently running mySQL 5.1.73 and I would like to update it to 5.6.

My SMF 1.1.19 forum is very large and active and I do not want to break it. Are there any known issues with mySQL 5.6?

Same question upgrading to php 5.6.

Thanks.

margarett

SMF 1.1.x will NOT work correctly with PHP 5.5+ due to several functions deeply in use becoming deprecated. I'm not sure about MySQL 5.6, though.

You should really consider an upgrade to 2.0.9...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

apc

I would like to upgrade to the latest version, but I am using an SEF add-on that gives custom URL's to 300,000 pages in Google, all of which would be lost if the URLs changed.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

apc

vbgamer45

I have a filter for prettyurls which you can use to redirect old seo4msf urls to the new
Requires uninstall of seo4smf
Then install prettyurls
then install prettyurls seo4smf filter.

I have used this before on one my old boards.

Of course keep a back of your forum/database before you do.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

margarett

@vbgamer45, how would that work after the upgrade to 2.0.x? Would he install Pretty URLs in 2.0 and run the filter the same way?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

yet another reason never to use those silly "seo" mods... :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

vbgamer45

Quote from: margarett on October 15, 2014, 10:18:42 AM
@vbgamer45, how would that work after the upgrade to 2.0.x? Would he install Pretty URLs in 2.0 and run the filter the same way?
Yes that would as well.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

apc

Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 15, 2014, 10:01:41 AM
I have a filter for prettyurls which you can use to redirect old seo4msf urls to the new
Requires uninstall of seo4smf
Then install prettyurls
then install prettyurls seo4smf filter.

I have used this before on one my old boards.

Of course keep a back of your forum/database before you do.

That is awesome - thanks very much.

Presumably upgrading to SMF 2 would cause all the existing SEF URL's to be lost because sEO4SMF would no longer be installed?

So I just install Prettyurls which re-creates the URL's them as opposed to re-directs them?

I will test it on a copy of the forum which I will update to SMF 2 first.

margarett

Quote from: apc on October 15, 2014, 12:43:47 PM
Smart move ;)

vbgamer45

So I just install Prettyurls which re-creates the URL's them as opposed to re-directs them?

Not it would just redirect the urls.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

apc

Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 15, 2014, 01:17:42 PM

Not it would just redirect the urls.

I meant re-direct the URL's so they appear in SEO4SMF format. I assume it makes use of .htaccess as well.

vbgamer45

It makes use of .htaccess no the urls do not make use of the seo4smf format.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

apc

Quote from: margarett on October 15, 2014, 01:11:26 PM
Quote from: apc on October 15, 2014, 12:43:47 PM
Smart move ;)

I have my own server which gives me plenty of flexibility to experiment and manage the site from Linux. For example I have a bunch of cron jobs that dumps the database several times per day and per week and saves them on a different part of the server. So I will just create a duplicate of the forum, restore a copy of the DB and play with that.

SMF 1 has a 4GB DB limit after which it produced a  white wall of death. Since it was the error log that filled the DB I have another cron job that truncates the error log table every day. Hopefully SMF 2 will not have the same limitation.

Thanks for your help everyone.

apc

Quote from: vbgamer45 on October 15, 2014, 03:29:46 PM
It makes use of .htaccess no the urls do not make use of the seo4smf format.

I am confused then.

SMF4SEO uses .htaccess to create SEF URL's in SMF1. As soon as I upgrade to SMF 2 which is migrating the database to SMF 2 format presumably, SMF4SEO will no longer be installed so I will just get the standard dynamic URLs. I assume SEO4SMF creates SEF URL's dynamically, not stores them in a database?

At the final analysis, however it works, I just want to ensure that the 300,000 forum pages indexed by Google I have in SMF 1 have the identical URL in SMF 2, otherwise they will be lost in the Google index.

vbgamer45

The old urls will just redirect. .htaccess just handles redirection. It is the php code that outputs how they look and that is from the mod.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Kindred

in other words... all of the URLs *WILL* change.

However, vbgamer's mod will use a 301 redirect to point to the new URLs, so you will not lose any link-juice and anyone who goes to an old url will automatically be bumped to the new one.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

margarett

Although I'm not sure if he will not get a penalty for duplicate content, when Google crawls the new links generated for the same content... As he will have 2 links for the same content...

Anyway, this will have to be done sooner or later. You (OP) can't hope that a 7+ year old software will keep running forever ;)

Also, the author's website is running SMF 1.1.7 ( :o ) so I wouldn't expect a new version...
Sooner or later you will have to upgrade. So, IMO, you should just upgrade and bite the bullet... You will loose ranking but it will be regained since the content is there nevertheless...

Kindred

No... There is no duplicate content.  That's the entire purpose of a 301 redirect...

The content no longer exists at the old url... Actually,the old url no longer exists... The 301 tells Google that the content was permanently moved to the new url.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: