News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

2.0.2 to 2.0.9

Started by liamtoo, October 15, 2014, 11:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liamtoo

I have recently upgraded to 2.0.9 but cannot reinstall any of the old mods.
Execute Modification    modification2.xml    Modification parse error
Error in Package Installation
QuoteAt least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF.
The forum seems to be ok.
Thanks

Kindred

does your packages directory have a temp subdirectory in it?  is that subdirectory writeable?
What mod are you trying to apply?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

liamtoo

QuoteAdvanced Contact Form    1.1    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    Aeva Media    2.04    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Custom_Top_menu    1.3    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    SMF Gallery Pro    4.0.8a    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    Ad Seller Pro    1.0.13    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    SMF Gallery Pro    4.0.2    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.    SMF Gallery Pro    4.0.1b    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.    SimpleAds    1.0.1    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.    SMF Gallery Pro    4.0.5    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.    SMF 2.0.1 Update    1.0    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.    Adk Menu Buttons    1.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.    SMF Gallery Pro    4.0.3a    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.    Twitter and Facebook Publisher mod    2.4    [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.    Newsletter Pro    3.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
and
QuoteCat Avatars    1.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.    betty boop avatars    1.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.    Muppets Avatars    1.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.    Dog Avatars    1.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.    star wars avatars    1.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.    elvis avatars    1.0    [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]

I do not need them all but cannot delete those unwanted either. I have created a writeable temp directory in packages but it has not helped.
Thanks

Burke ♞ Knight

What way did you update to 2.0.9?

liamtoo

I downloaded the large update package, unzipped the files and transferred them to the server via Filezilla. All seemed well. The forum is intact.

kat

OOPS! Ignore this. I misread... :P

Illori

modification2.xml is not found in the upgrade patch. try emptying out your packages/temp folder and try to do the install again.

Burke ♞ Knight

Why did you not just do the package updates via package manager?

Kindred

wait wait wait wait...

you are trying to use the large upgrade archive through the package manager?  That will never work.
the large upgrade is for REPLACING **ALL** of your files.

if you want to use the package manager patch(es), you must step version by version using the PATCH files, not the large upgrade archive.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

No, Kindred...
The OP used the large upgrade, normal way, instead of using the package manager update way.

The OP did not state that tried the large update via package manager:

Quote from: liamtoo on October 16, 2014, 06:38:18 AM
I downloaded the large update package, unzipped the files and transferred them to the server via Filezilla. All seemed well. The forum is intact.

Kindred

sorry, I am getting myself confused based on other people's rambling...

right - he did the full upgrade and now receives an error when attempting to install any mod.

-- suggestion off the top of my head (remember, it is early morning here).
Delete all mods in the list.
get rid of the mod files in the packages directory
upload a new version of the mod through the package manager
see if that runs successfully...
Слaва
Украинi

kat

Quote from: liamtoo on October 16, 2014, 06:38:18 AMtransferred them to the server via Filezilla.

I wonder.... if the ol' Transfer type has caused some corruption, somewhere...

liamtoo

Quote-- suggestion off the top of my head (remember, it is early morning here).
Delete all mods in the list.
get rid of the mod files in the packages directory
upload a new version of the mod through the package manager
see if that runs successfully...

I was inclined to do that but the package manager won't allow me to delete any mod. I am reluctant to delete files on the server directly as I have images and newsletters I want to keep intact.

Tomorrow I'll go with Illoris suggestion.

I found a warning about how mods have their edits removed http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading#Set_File_and_Folder_Permissions I wonder if anyone knows which files need amending.
Thanks to all for the help.

Burke ♞ Knight

Did you do a backup of files and database before you updated to 2.0.9?
If so, here's the best solution:

Delete the files, and drop the tables in the database.
Restore forum files, import the backup of the database via phpmyadmin.

Then, when working again, go to package manager. There should be notice of update available for the next version. Click to install.
after install, click to return to packages list, and repeat until there are no more update patches.

Kindred

also...  deleting the package/mods from the packages directory will have no effect on any images or anything else on your site
Слaва
Украинi

liamtoo

OK. I spent a bit of time and did a complete reinstall of the full 2.09 ...  fully prepared to reinstall a recent db backup. I was careful to keep the exact same db details on the installer and in the end did not need to do anything. I got a message towards the end of the installation that the db was good and and any extra tables needed would be updated. Happy days!

However ...  I still had the original error with mods. Execute Modification    modification2.xml    Modification parse error
After a little more research I discovered some users found that switching off PHP safe mode on the server worked for them ... and guess what. That worked for me too. So problem solved. I think!

Advertisement: