News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Merge Posts?

Started by Burke ♞ Knight, October 16, 2014, 07:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burke ♞ Knight

After all these years, I just noticed...

We have the ability to Merge Topics, but what about merging posts in a topic?
Say for example, someone double posts, and we'd like to merge the posts.

Kindred

more complicated....

there is am mod which auto-merges sequential posts by the same user within a time-frame....

it has issues though - especially when both posts are very long...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Burke ♞ Knight

Only reason I mentioned it, is I have seen other forums have it, when check the posts, then can merge them.
However, I had no idea if SMF could be done that way.

Like said, never really noticed the lack of it, until I went to try to merge 2 posts in a topic, and could not find a button for it...LOL

Rumpa

It's too much complicated I think.

If it will adding in SMF nice idea.

Arantor

It's been done as a mod before, but it has some interesting side effects.

Rumpa

Quote from: Arantor on October 20, 2014, 09:32:38 AM
It's been done as a mod before, but it has some interesting side effects.
Can I get that if you can.

I want to test it.

Arantor

It hasn't been updated in years and the side effects were never fixed.

Rumpa

Quote from: Arantor on October 20, 2014, 10:13:15 AM
It hasn't been updated in years and the side effects were never fixed.

OK but you can give me please. I wanna test with my own risk.

Burke ♞ Knight

If he could have, he would have.
More likely, it is set not to be allowed to be redistributed, license wise, as well as for the reasons why it was removed from the mod site.

Arantor

Yes, it was very intentional not to do so.

Rumpa

OK then I am sorry for asking it.

SMiFFER

By using the SEARCH-function I stumbled across this topic.
NOT asking for the mod that auto-merges two duplicate posts, I wish to ask this question:

I see on Vbulletin-Boards that the inlinemod.php includes a simple function to select 2+ posts (even across threads) and merges them into one new destination by even being able to assign one of the former posters (of the posts to merge) as the new owner of the newly created post. WHAT AN INCREDIBLY USEFUL FUNCTION!

Has it ever been considered to implement this to SMF?
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

aegersz

I also wanted it but the mod was far too awkward to install so I gave the idea away. seeing someone post twice in quick succession is something that I can live with.

SMF can still multi quote and that's my main concern.

still, it is a minor but nice thing to have and I hope that it's a feature in some subsequent release.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Advertisement: