News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Guests

Started by Oscar the Grouch, October 16, 2014, 12:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar the Grouch

Hi I have a few questions. Im very brand new to this and been trying to read up on everything and have a question.

Im on 1.1.19 and have inherited a local forum from a guy who has moved away.

I need to know how to remove a guests posts. These are people who used the delete account option under their user control panel. all their info and account is gone yet the posts remain.

Kindred

other than going in to delete them by hand, I don't think that there is any good, quick way to do this in 1.1.x

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oscar the Grouch

I have every intention of running to 2.x now that the 1. is being fazed out. Is there an easy way in the 2 series boards?

AND if anyone could point me to a migration guide so I could start that process i would be eternally great full. Alternately if someone would like to walk me thru it send me a PM. Im willing to compensate you for your time  :)

Irisado

Welcome to SMF :).

The guide you'll need to read carefully is this one: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

There are also a number of other wiki pages, such as backing up, which are important to read before you consider upgrading.  There are links to these on that page I've provided.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Oscar the Grouch

Gracias. many thanks. ill start doing some research.  8)

Kindred

as for how you can delete guest posts in 2.0.x - yes...

you can re-attribute posts from old accounts to a new account and then delete everything properly and fully...

however - consider if that is actually the correct action...   because, by deleting posts out of a thread, the thread conversation path will then be broken.
WHY do you feel that the posts should be deleted just because the user removed his/her account?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oscar the Grouch

between spam, trolling and users being able do just delete themselves alot of the forum is disconnected already. there was general lack of moderation before i came on and im just trying to play clean up. its currently a hot mess. a good chunk of posts will just be re attributed to the guy who deleted one account then started another with out just asking someone to change his name.

I agree with you about breaking threads not making since and ill re attribute and leave valid posts but nuke the crap

Advertisement: