using Dropbox links as an attachment !!!

Started by keyboard, October 19, 2014, 09:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyboard

I use Dropbox... I upload a file to Dropbox, I then right click on the file and copy the link... How can I use this link as an attachment ?   The reason that I want to use as an attachment is because I have a mod that will allow only registered users to see.
What is the 'work around' to this ?

Thanks
Ron
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Basically you can't. There's no facility in SMF for this - you're supposed to upload it to SMF directly, not to Dropbox.

keyboard

Thinking out loud ......could a 'work around ' be ,zip up the link  and upload the zip ?
Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

Zip up the link?

Why not just zip up the FILE and then attach it
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mashby

Do all of your registered users have access to your dropbox account? Certainly you can just post the link to Dropbox and go from there. A link is not an attachment though and certainly won't be one in out-of-the-box SMF. Why can't you just upload your file in a topic on your SMF site?!?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

keyboard

Quote from: Kindred on October 19, 2014, 10:09:04 PM
Zip up the link?

Why not just zip up the FILE and then attach it
I have 1 terabyte of storage space available on Dropbox. My site is very large file oriented. I can add the files as an attachment but it would not take long for me to outgrow my plan and it would soon be in the hundreds of dollars a year, easily.  It would be better for me to upload the link instead of the file
Слaва
Украинi

keyboard

Quote from: monstermashby on October 19, 2014, 10:09:25 PM
Do all of your registered users have access to your dropbox account? Certainly you can just post the link to Dropbox and go from there. A link is not an attachment though and certainly won't be one in out-of-the-box SMF. Why can't you just upload your file in a topic on your SMF site?!?
So simple !!!!!! You know that old saying, I cannot see the Forrest because of all trees in front of it.......

Thanks
Ron
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Except I think you misunderstand... if you make it an attachment, you're implicitly asking for it to be moved to your forum.

Otherwise just post the link and be done with it.

radu81

You can use a spoiler mod to hide your content. There is one here on which you can set permissions.

I don't hide external links to my guests, but if I want to hide some content or links I can do it with spoiler. Not exactly what you are asking but could be a solution
sorry for my bad english

Advertisement: