Where can I edit the "home" item in the linktree?

Started by Kr3m1in, October 20, 2014, 01:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kr3m1in

Hi SMF folks, this is my first time posting and I absolutely suck when it comes to PHP, so go easy on me.

Attached is a screenshot of the header of a test forum and theme I'm working on, and I'd like to change what appears for the first item while retaining my forum's name for SEO purposes. Perhaps I want to put "über home link" or something silly like that - but I stress again, I would like to retain my forum's name and only change what displays for the first item in that breadcrumb trail.

The second screenshot attached is what I'd like to achieve.

Kindred

Sorry, there is no good, easy way to do this without hacking the code... and, given that the linktree is a core function that is automatically assembled, I don't think it would be a single line change...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kr3m1in

I'm fine with hacks. After all, I am one with PHP.

Kindred

except you just said:

Quote from: Kr3m1in on October 20, 2014, 01:52:59 PM
... and I absolutely suck when it comes to PHP, so go easy on me.

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Kr3m1in

Solved.

Very hacky, but gets the job done in a pinch.

Sources/Load.php line 1561
$context['forum_name_html_safe'] = "Anything including html";

I'd say thanks for the help, but you didn't really do anything but tell me it couldn't be done.

Kindred

that is going to have uninstended side effects since that context value is used in places other then the linktree.

and I never said that it could not be done... I said that I suspected that it would be more involved than a single line of code.

As for answering you in more detail, I am not currently on a computer where I can look through code to track down the specific locations...   so, unless someone else can do it for you, you'll have to wait until I get to such a computer.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Like emails, the page title in more than one place, and so much more besides.

In any case, I'm really not sure what you were hoping to achieve by changing it, actually.

Kr3m1in

Quote from: Kindred on October 20, 2014, 04:04:27 PM
that is going to have uninstended side effects since that context value is used in places other then the linktree.

I'm fully aware that this will change other elements that use the variable, and in my circumstance, the unintended consequence is one I don't mind as I wanted the branding to be the same across the board. That's not to say I'm disputing bad things will occur - just that I'm not aware of them at this point in time, everything looks super to me.

Quote from: Arantor on October 20, 2014, 04:36:24 PM
I'm really not sure what you were hoping to achieve by changing it, actually.

I have a wordmark as a logo that incorporates different font weights into one line - for example: machnetwork , machforums ,  machsomething

It's a branding thing, and it's the reason I'm actually glad this makes changes outside the scope of the breadcrumb trail.

Kindred

well, if you had actually explained that, up front, rather than discussing a single location, we migth have been able to better provide suggestions.

As it stands, I believe that you will be screwing things up in many places and have not do it correctly - but since you seem set against accepting suggestions or warnings at this point, I will bow out.
Слaва
Украинi

Kr3m1in

I'm open to other suggestions as long as they're contributory and add something else to the discussion other than disapproval to what I've discovered.

Arantor

So, in future, if you do something that is likely to mess your forum up and give you grief, you'd rather we didn't tell you about it?

Advertisement: