News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Splitting the Forum

Started by Arantor, October 16, 2014, 01:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

And has a serious number of consequences - and any such kind of bridge will not come cheaply.

I mean, I've been thinking about it and trying to work out what such a thing might cost to build.

Honestly, though, it's not something I want to engage in unless people are prepared to pay serious money for it - because as much as it intrigues me and I'd have fun building, I don't think I could build this just for one person.

I have also thought about making a more complex auth bridge that handles FB, Twitter and stuff like that - as well as cross-forum auth, maybe that would be worth more money. I just don't think I could build it in a fashion for just one person where they would pay the amount of money; I would expect to spend a good 2-3 full weeks on just the multi-forum auth, let alone the other stuff. That especially depends on whether things like avatar sharing occurs (which is more complex since you're talking about pushing content between systems rather than a simple master/slave replication)

As far as the server... it's really simple: the more you have going on, the more the impact is. It's simple math. It's easier to scale multiple instances than it is to scale one megainstance simply because you can do things like proper sharding and separating machines to separate servers.

DenDen60

Thanks for your feedback Arantor.

This led me to see this option.

Let us say we have one Master Central Member Database (MCMD) and a multitude of Secondary Member Databases. (SMD)

The first time member registers, they register in the MCMD. At the same time we create a small dashboard for them that contains the list of forums they are members of.

So the first time, there is only one forum on their dashboard.

While their sessions are opened, if they decide to registered on a second forum, it becomes part of their dashboard.

The registration process duplicates their information contained in the MCMD into the SMD of the forum they have just registered.

Would that make it easier to develop?

Thanks again for trying to figure out how to make it work.

Denis
Ps.: Most user will only use four or five. Some will use more, but I don't see anyone using more than 12 to 15.

Arantor

QuoteWould that make it easier to develop?

Nope, that just adds multiple layers of complexity.

DenDen60

Then how would you tackle this?

I was under the impression that the latest option was easier because each forum are then independent.

For example, if I want to send a newsletter to forum "C", since forum "C" has it's own database, I can send the newsletter easily.

The only complicated part is the one where you login and the process by which you first duplicate the login information, avatars signature etc, from the MCMD into the SMD, and when you synch changes made in the MCMD between the MCMD into the SMD.

But this is my understanding.

Arantor

That's the thing; your concept of a dashboard etc. massively complicates it by adding things that simply do not need to exist.

It's really simple: user tries to login on any forum. If the forum is a slave, call the master. If the account exists, create a local copy of that account. Then treat it as a mostly local account as far as account existence/integration is concerned (but simply re-defer back to master on the matters of passwords; similarly, when changing passwords from any slave, renotify master of changes)

Similarly with registration, registration on any given slave simply pushes it to the master to deal with.

This whole dashboard thing simply does not need to exist. You tie the systems together internally only and need not trouble the user with trivialities like which forum(s) they are members of.

In all honesty I do not see us being able to work together, unfortunately. The ideas of cross forum bridges have intrigued me for some time but my style simply does not mesh with your intentions.

DenDen60

Ok, well thanks for your feedback.

Denis
Ps.: A dashboard is just a page that shows the name of the users and the boards that he belongs to. (These are just included in the master database when he first logs in. )

DenDen60

So Arantor,

Let's say we don't do the dashboard, would you be interested?

Advertisement: