News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Topic Merging = lost links; is there an easy way to fix? (I found the hard way!)

Started by Vince S, October 22, 2014, 04:22:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisado

Quote from: Vince S on October 22, 2014, 08:34:41 AM
having done the testing, I figure I could add ", regardless of which topic is selected first" to the new text

That's okay, yes :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Vince S

Nope - same deal. The oldest topic number stays, regardless which topic is picked first to have the other merged into.

Obviously these are only 2 topic tests - but doing larger numbers will undoubtedly get the same outcome.

So what's the chance of a mod request going in to have perpetuation of the first selected topic ID number - doesn't sound like a hard thing to do, but easy for me, the non-doer, to say!!!
Try figuring out where all this is going to keep coming from: Millionaire Baby? Or just pass me a beer and we'll sort it, thank you.....

Vince S

Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2014, 08:40:27 AM
Might depend which of the interfaces you're using since there are several.

Not quite sure what this means. I had a world of pain going to v2.0 with the Babylon theme installed so consequently have used the Default smf theme ever since sorting that one out. Just noticed I was still on v2.0.8 and have upgraded to v2.0.9 now, so all my comments relate to 2.0.8, but I would be astonished if that made a difference in this area. My own v56.9 is probably more of a worry!
Try figuring out where all this is going to keep coming from: Millionaire Baby? Or just pass me a beer and we'll sort it, thank you.....

Kindred

Ah. I see....

it merges the topics and takes the topic ID of whichever topic has the earliest post...  because, regardless of the merge order - the posts will always show in order of post ID.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Vince S

Hmm, just thought I'd prove the theory that it is driven by post date. Whilst I didn't get the expected outcome, I did prove it, I think.

Made topic 1, post 1.

Made topic 2 post 1

Made topic 1 post 2.

Went to delete topic 1, post 1 (you see where this is going ....)

Well it went here: "You are not allowed to delete the first post in a topic. If you want to delete this topic, click on the Remove Topic link, or ask a moderator/administrator to do it for you."

Not what I expected, but I think it got the job done!

Arantor

Quote from: Vince S on October 22, 2014, 09:00:57 AM
Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2014, 08:40:27 AM
Might depend which of the interfaces you're using since there are several.

Not quite sure what this means. I had a world of pain going to v2.0 with the Babylon theme installed so consequently have used the Default smf theme ever since sorting that one out. Just noticed I was still on v2.0.8 and have upgraded to v2.0.9 now, so all my comments relate to 2.0.8, but I would be astonished if that made a difference in this area. My own v56.9 is probably more of a worry!

Well, you can merge with quick moderation, you can merge by way of explicitly using the topic id, and you can merge by selection, IIRC...

Kindred

and Vince... it has nothing to do with Post Date, actually...    post date is not actually used in placing SMF messages into threads - the system uses postID.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Vince S

post date = post ID in my mind; we all know what we are talking about here. But for blow-ins that don't, just when Kindred thought he was right it turns out he was .... right. Nothing unusual there, move along now peeps...

Re interface, I was only trying the Merge button on the topic. Robust testing I guess would involve checking the rest out.

So, is there any appetite for making the topic merge thing happen how the greats and aspiring d**kweed badge pedants amongst us thought it was? After all, there is a definite logical error between the top line of this post, the facts, and:

Quote from: Kindred on October 22, 2014, 08:03:30 AM
are you CERTAIN that it retains the OLDEST ID? I do not believe that is correct...

and

Quote from: Arantor on October 22, 2014, 08:19:57 AM
Quotein other words, it keeps the TARGET thread ID, regardless of which was older.

That is how it works, as far as I remember. Which is why it's explicitly using the word target in the UI ;)

and we can't have that logical conundrum now can we?

Arantor

Advertisement: