News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Pm's randomly not giving notifications?

Started by GenesisMUGEN, October 22, 2014, 08:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GenesisMUGEN

My forum uses 2.0.8 and its most likely due to my past mishaps that this is happening, but the PM system is buggy and i'm not sure where to even begin to fix it.

I've experienced it personally, and other members have as well. There will be times when users will receive notifications for new PM's, and then there are times when we won't. It seems to be completely random when it works and when it doesn't. Any help?

Kindred

I suspect it is a mail queue/priority thing...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Or that people have misconfigured their settings to only be notified if a buddy sends them a message.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GenesisMUGEN

Well if that's the case it could be still be me to blame. At a time i tried to add different PM mods to make the forum "unique" (lol) and i think some conflicted and i probably uninstalled them while there were problems.

I just asked and tested pm's with a few users. Pretty much how it's gone.
>I send PM to HW.
>HW gets PM notification and responds.
>I never receive notification that HW sent a reply.

>I receive notification from co-admin.
>I reply, he gets notification.
>I reply again.
>No notification from his next message. AND he's on my buddy list.

Every other person i would get a notification from but they would only get 1 notification from me, if even that. They wouldn't get any others.

Not really sure where to start. I've read your replies, im just a noob

Arantor

So... what are the settings in the messages > preferences?

GenesisMUGEN

....................where do i check that? I know where to check mine but where would i check for everyone in general? (dumb question i know)

Kindred

Oh... WAit...   That might be as designed....

I think that maybe ou only receive notification from the first pm from any individual until you read the pm(s) that you were notified about... At which point you will receive notifications again.

Maybe. I think...
Слaва
Украинi

GenesisMUGEN

Illori

Quote from: Kindred on October 22, 2014, 10:39:09 PM
Oh... WAit...   That might be as designed....

I think thatbyoumonly receive notification from the first pm from any individual until you read the pm(s) that you were notified about... At which point you will receive notifications again.

Maybe. I think...

that is only a setting for topics not pm's. for pm's the option is for never, always or from buddies only.

GenesisMUGEN

Isn't that only for email notifications?

Also, i think it is related to the messages being "Unread".

I have a dummy account to test stuff for non-admins and i sent it a message. It got the notification. When it replied, I didn't get a notification. I had it send another, same thing. Even after reading both messages, it's still marked as unread.

Kindred

sounds like you have deeper issues than just non-sending emails...
Слaва
Украинi

GenesisMUGEN

Not getting emails isn't the issue.....sorry if i made that confusing.

It's JUST Pm's.

Kindred

then you need to be more clear.  Please explain, IN DETAIL, specifically what symptoms you are complaining about?

From your original post, it would seem that you are receiving PMs, but you are not receiving email notifications about those PMs?
Is this not correct?

Additionally, you added a note later in the thread that indicates that PMs which have been read are still marked as new/unread.  Yes?

If both of these are correct, then you have deeper issues than missing notifications (which is, most often, a host-side or admin configuration issue.) You have done something to your PM system...

So, what Mods do you have installed?
URL?
test user account?
Слaва
Украинi

GenesisMUGEN

Other than my previous post, nowhere did I use the word email. I specifically said PM. The example post were PM exchanges. Again, I apologize if I wasn't being clear.

On my forum, if you receive a PM, you would get a notification "My Messages [1]" for example. That [1] will not appear so the person will not know they got a PM. I tried adding the option of a popup box letting them know a new PM arrived, but it seems if they don't get that notification, there will be no popup. That is what i mean by not getting PM notifications.

In regard to the unread pm thing, it's odd. During the pm exchanges with other users, it was fine (i'm pretty sure) then with my test account, it gave me problems with them staying unread. After some time, I went back and it marked the pm's as read when i opened them again.

Kindred

ah....  now THAT is where you were unclear.

Notifications USUALLY is used to refer to email notifications. The fact that you were talking pop-up or PM count notifications is something completely different.

And your symptoms are almost certainly related to one of the mods that you have installed which is conflicting with the PM notification system.

which leads me back to the questions....
Quote from: Kindred on October 27, 2014, 08:10:31 AM
So, what Mods do you have installed?
URL?
test user account?

Слaва
Украинi

margarett

Since you installed and uninstalled a bunch of mods pm-related, you might want to set up a duplicate instance of your forum (using a duplicate database of your current one), then loading fresh files in it. This way you can be sure whether or not your issue happens in a clean install
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: