News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Unread posts / new replies not working for Child Boards

Started by timetraveller, October 25, 2014, 03:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timetraveller

As the title says really - the unread posts / new replies options both work for the main boards but no new posts show from the child boards. The "new" icon does show up on the board index though.
I've read that this is deliberate for 2nd level child (grandchild?) boards which kind of assumes it's not expected for a first level child? Is there a setting somewhere that I've missed?

Chas Large

I would be interesting to read where this supposed 2nd level restriction has been introduced. In all of my forums, the new posts and replies work equally as well as they do in main boards.

Do you have any odd permission profiles applied to child boards? like No Reply etc?
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Arantor

The restriction has been in SMF since forever. Board > Sub-board > Sub-board will not show up properly on the front page.

As for this case, I would wonder if some boards are set to ignore.

Chas Large

Quote from: Arantor on November 17, 2014, 06:19:26 AM
The restriction has been in SMF since forever. Board > Sub-board > Sub-board will not show up properly on the front page.

As for this case, I would wonder if some boards are set to ignore.
Thanks, didn't know that. Not much help here am I? I'll bow to your greater knowledge.

Funny how it's taken so long for two of us to reply to this isn't it?

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Arantor

It's all good - it's OK not to know everything about SMF :) (There are things people know better than I do about it, in fact.)

It's just something that I don't think has come up for you before so unless you've seen it or otherwise had to deal with it, it's not something you'd instinctively know about.

Chas Large

Quote from: Arantor on November 17, 2014, 06:53:05 AM
It's all good - it's OK not to know everything about SMF :) (There are things people know better than I do about it, in fact.)

It's just something that I don't think has come up for you before so unless you've seen it or otherwise had to deal with it, it's not something you'd instinctively know about.
Thanks. I know less than most, just what I've experienced. I'm long past trying to learn new stuff now. ;D

Arantor

Deaks

timetraveller, do you still need help with this? have you tried anything since?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

timetraveller

Apologies for delay in replying.
The issue is still there.
The child boards inherit all permissions etc. from the parents and no boards are set to ignore.

margarett

Unread posts/unread replies consider all boards, no matter how "deep" they are.

What is excluded from 2nd+ child boards is the "last topic" information in Board Index. So your issue is really different from what you were suggesting ;)

So, back to basics:
SMF version? MODs installed? Link to your forum? Maybe a test account (no admin required) for us to test in place?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: