News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Quote and Modify Buttons not Loading

Started by WantSome, October 27, 2014, 06:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WantSome

Hi All!

I'm running version 2.0.9, and everything has been going well until yesterday when suddenly the quote and modify buttons have been acting up.

Whenever I press these buttons a loading bar appears across the top of the forum and then nothing happens.  It's been well over 15 minutes and the page I've left open to see if anything ever happens is still merely showing a loading banner and no result.

Any clues why the quote and modify buttons won't do anything?

Thanks!
WS

EDIT:  I should mention that this is happening on all themes and it appears to be only the 'quick modify' button that lets you modify the post in the thread that is broken (the main modify button that takes you to a preview screen seems to work okay)

Kindred

URL?  Mods installed?

Did you recently change something? Add a new mod?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

WantSome

The forum url is http://wantsome.co.uk/forum/ but it's not available to guests.  Do you need a login?

I have a lot of mods installed but none that have been installed recently (latest is the @Mentions modification installed early September).  Incidentally, that mod has been working well and it also seems to now have an issue (normally when you type someone's name it gives you some options after the third letter but now it doesn't, so I'm assuming it is also affected by this loading issue)

I recently had an issue with the host and the server, but everything has been working very well since that got sorted out a week ago.  As mentioned, nothing appears to have changed, just suddenly this!

These are the mods I have:
@mention members    1.1.2
AjaxChat Integration    3.2.1
Member Awards    2.2.3
Tagging System    2.4.3    
SMF Articles    2.0.2    
SimplePortal    2.3.5    
SMF Gallery Lite    3.1.1
Drafts    1.1.4    
SMFShop    3.2    
Change All Subjects    1.1.2    
Ohara YouTube Embed    1.0
Ad Managment    3.0.1    
Signature Area BBCode Buttons    2.0.2
6 Custom buttons / tabs with Sub Menus (4)    0.5
Spoiler BBCode    1.1.3    
Display Signatures Only Once Per Page    1.0.3

Kindred

Well, I am not on a real computer right now... So I can't check for certain.. But, from the description, especially the failure of @mentions, it sounds like you have a JavaScript conflict or failure.  So, something changed...  But debugging it is goig. To be a bear.. Especially since I see at least 4 mods that all use JavaScript and possibly conflict with each other.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JBlaze

First step: try it in a different browser.

Second step: open up either Chrome or Firefox debug console and see what errors, if any, it is reporting.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

ARG01

I am not going to read through everything but maybe these can show you something?

HTML

CSS

Some can be overlooked (theme design flaws or not recognized by W3C) but it certainly wouldn't hurt to address some of the more important errors and warnings.  Concentrate more on the errors than the warnings. ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Kindred

While those things should be fixed, I don't think any of those are causing the JavaScript error
Слaва
Украинi

ARG01

Quote from: Kindred on October 27, 2014, 10:22:21 PM
While those things should be fixed, I don't think any of those are causing the JavaScript error

Understandable. I tried to debug with FF but found nothing, possibly because one needs to be logged in to view the buttons that he is having issues with. Figured I would just investigate a bit further.  ;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

WantSome

Hi all and thanks for the help!

I am getting the same error on all browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera).  I tried Chrome's debug console and it is showing the following error:

QuoteGET http://wantsome.co.uk/forum/Themes/default/scripts/jquery.caret.map 404 (Not Found)

I went to that location on my cpanel file manager and that file does not exist, and if it ever did exist it has been deleted.

Can anyone tell me anything about this jquery.caret.map file and where I can get one?

Thanks!

EDIT:  Also, thanks for this error list I'll be working on that this weekend!
Quote from: SimpMode on October 27, 2014, 10:01:51 PM
I am not going to read through everything but maybe these can show you something?

HTML

CSS

Some can be overlooked (theme design flaws or not recognized by W3C) but it certainly wouldn't hurt to address some of the more important errors and warnings.  Concentrate more on the errors than the warnings. ;)

WantSome

I've been working on the errors on my page - the seem to relate mostly to things that I've put in portal blocks and these are things that have existed for a looooong time which leads me to believe that the errors found are not causing the issue.

When trying to quote a post, or modify a post (the in-thread modify) a loading banner still appears and nothing else happens.

Any clues?

Arantor

You don't need the jquery.caret.map file. Map files are to do with debugging - and most scripts do not supply them. They are only ever required when you are in the dev panel and even then you can make do without one.

I'd be looking at whatever error appears in the console when you try to do such.

WantSome

Thanks Arantor,

I just went to try and modify a post, and did the debug console thing while the loading banner was showing.  The following is what Chrome returns:

QuoteUncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'setAttribute' of null
GET http://wantsome.co.uk/forum/Themes/default/scripts/jquery.caret.map 404 (Not Found)

The jquery.caret.map thing shows no matter what I'm doing when i launch the debug console.  The first line 'Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'setAttribute' of null' shows when I'm trying to modify a post.

When I tried to quote a post, and ran the debug tool, the above messages showed along with this one:

QuoteFailed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

I have no clue what it all means.  Hopefully you do?

Arantor

QuoteThe jquery.caret.map thing shows no matter what I'm doing when i launch the debug console.

Yes... the file doesn't exist - but it's only requested BECAUSE you're in the debug console.

The actual problem is the previous line - setAttribute of null. What's causing that?

As for status of 404... you get a 404 on index.php?action=quotefast ?? Or are you using one of those silly pretty URLs mods?

WantSome

I'm not using pretty urls (not for over a year now).  Currently I have quick-reply on, so when quoting a post I get this url:

index.php?topic=8486.msg222052#quickreply

When I click quote, the page jumps to the quick reply block at the bottom and the Loading bar appears, but no text appears in the block and nothing else occurs.   It just sits there 'loading'.

Out of curiosity I put forum/index.php?action=quotefast and all I got was a blank white page that said 'Retrieving quote'.  It's still there, nothing happens after this.  I'm not sure if that's because I wasn't trying to quote anything in particular.

I went to switch off quick reply and tried to quote a post and it seems to work correctly - much the same as the proper modify button works but the 'in-thread' modify button doesn't. 

Arantor

In the console, fire up the network tab, then press the quote button. You should see an entry for index.php?action=quotefast turning up there. What happens if you do?

WantSome

Thanks Arantor!  We are now in territory I am totally unfamiliary with.

I saw the entry for the quotefast, it looks like this:

Quotehttp://wantsome.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=quotefast;quote=222072;xml

Method:  GET   
Type:  text/xml   
Initiator:  script.js?fin20:101  Script
Size:  783 B 280 B
Time: 365 ms 338 ms

Nothing appears to happen, and I am no expert on the debug console so I've no idea what this means. 

Incidentally, I copied that quotefast link into a new tab and got this error:

QuoteThis page contains the following errors:

error on line 1 at column 6: XML declaration allowed only at the start of the document
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

Not sure if I was meant to do that or what that might mean either. 

Arantor

You have a mod that's broken something. Hard to say for sure as to what but I'd run the file_check.php tool to see if something's left spaces at the start or end of a file - every PHP file should start with <?php and every PHP should end with ?>

WantSome

Hi Arantor,

So I ran the tool and it came up with quite a few files that don't have the ?> at the end (and a few without the <?php at the beginning.  Before changing anything I went to check the original modification downloads and their files and in the cases that I checked none of them ended in ?>

So, is it safe to just change every php file to have these starts and ends even if the mod packages don't?

Just checking before I go add these, willy nilly.

EDIT:  I've found some in the long list shown on the file check tool that do end with ?> even though the tool says they don't. Not sure if that means anything?

EDIT2:  I've realised I didn't check if there are spaces AFTER the ?> just that it existed.  I went through all the erros and found loads!  Upon fixing each one the mentions and quote and modify button all work again YAY!

Thanks so much Arantor I'm very happy this worked (a bothersome but effective fix!)

Also, now that I've fixed all the <?php and ?> things, I'm still getting a few that say 'UTF-8 BOM found'.  Is this a problem?

Advertisement: