Sources/post - test failed

Started by peoww, October 30, 2014, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peoww

Hi all,

I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing half the time with SMF and it's been a long time since I performed any maintenance on my forum but today I'm trying to uninstall a package and install another but I get 'test failed' on Post.php when attempting both things.

I tried copying my 'sources' folder across in my FTP client and it complained a few times that the folder (yes, folder) 'posts.php' wasn't there.  Which was odd.  Eventually it did copy though.

I'm up to version 2.09 and am looking to uninstall Aeva ~ Auto-Embed Video & Audio and install Simple Audio Video Embedder.

Here's what it spat at me when attempting to uninstall Aeva
      Type    Action    Description
*    1.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Post.php    Test failed
      1.    Replace    ./Sources/Post.php    Test failed
      2.    Replace    ./Sources/Post.php    Test successful
      3.    Replace    ./Sources/Post.php    Test successful
      4.    Replace    ./Sources/Post.php    Test successful
*    2.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test successful
*    3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManageSettings.php    Test failed
      1.    Replace    ./Sources/ManageSettings.php    Test failed
      2.    Replace    ./Sources/ManageSettings.php    Test failed
      3.    Add Before    ./Sources/ManageSettings.php    Test failed
*    4.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Admin.php    Test successful
   5.    Delete File    ./Sources/Subs-Aeva.php    
   6.    Delete File    ./Sources/Subs-Aeva-Admin.php    
   7.    Delete File    ./Sources/Subs-Aeva-Sites.php    
   8.    Delete File    ./Sources/Subs-Aeva-Custom-Example.php    
   9.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english.php    
   10.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.french.php    
   11.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.french-utf8.php    
   12.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english-utf8.php    
   13.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english_british.php    
   14.    Delete File    ./Themes/default/languages/Aeva.english_british-utf8.php    
   15.    Delete File    ./expressInstall.swf    

and attempting to install Simple Audio Video Embedder gave me this

QuoteType    Action    Description
*    1.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
   2.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php    Skipping file
*    3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/QueryString.php    Test successful
*    4.    Execute Modification    ./index.php    Test successful
*    5.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Admin.php    Test successful
*    6.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test successful
*    7.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Post.php    Test failed
      1.    Replace    ./Sources/Post.php    Test failed
      2.    Replace    ./Sources/Post.php    Test failed
   8.    Extract File    ./Sources/AutoEmbedMediaPro2.php    
   9.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/AutoEmbedMediaPro2.template.php    
   10.    Extract Tree    ./cache    
   11.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/languages/AutoEmbedMediaPro.english.php    
   12.    Extract File    ./Themes/default/languages/AutoEmbedMediaPro.english-utf8.php    
   13.    Extract Tree    ./videos    
   14.    Execute Code    AutoEmbedMediaProInstall2.php    

kat

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Error_in_mod_installation

What you need to do, is what's described on that page, only backwards, if that makes sense?

peoww

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll stick with never installing anything ever again though!  Those instructions are pretty casual about editing code like it is nothing. 

Is there a way for me to just uninstall all my packages and then download a fresh version of the offending files?

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

peoww

Thanks (belatedly!) for the reply.

I've done this now and I'm still getting the same problems.  I deleted the sources and themes folders, installed the large update and tried to install the same mod as before (simple audio video embedder) and I still get the same issue.  Appears to install fine but doesn't embed anything and when I uninstall I get that same list of failed files.

:(

I don't know what else to do!

Illori

post in the mods support topic so that the author can help you.

peoww

Quote from: Illori on April 17, 2015, 05:21:11 AM
post in the mods support topic so that the author can help you.

Alas it appears to be most mods.  Not just this.  I tried some others too.

There is definitely something up. 

I access my files via SFTP but that's the only thing that isn't standard I think.

peoww

Yep I've tested a few more mods.

They appear to install but I don't get the functionality of them and some of them don't uninstall properly.

I've CHMODed up the whole folder to 777.

I've copied over the 2.09 files as per the instructions and completely replaced themes and sources.

Stanyy

Quote from: peoww on April 17, 2015, 05:43:35 AM
Alas it appears to be most mods.  Not just this.  I tried some others too.

There is definitely something up. 

I access my files via SFTP but that's the only thing that isn't standard I think.

Its the way SMF was designed.
When mods write code into your files, they do so by finding reference lines from the default SMF install. It also uses these same references to uninstall the codes from the files. So if two different mods adds code to one file using the same reference line, the first installed mod will show an error during uninstall, since the second mod had positioned its code between the reference code and that of the first mod. A mod may even alter a block of code which other mods mods may look for during installation - this explains why mods show errors during install.
I hope that makes sense.

For someone who has never messed with their files, I believe the only way not to see those errors is to uninstall mods in the order which you installed them starting with the most recent. But that would be too tedious, so what most people like me do is - make the failed edits manually. :)

Kindred

It sounds like your site is poorly configured by your host and that you have issues with the chown settings.

SMF *THINKS* that it can correctly edit the files as requested by the mod instructions -- but then the server rejects the save of those edits, with no error message.
SMF thinks that the mod has been installed, but none of the files were actually changed.

You would need to talk to your host about chown -- or manually install your mods.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: