Old newb returning...

Started by srhedd, October 30, 2014, 07:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srhedd

Haven't been on in a long time, things have changed!!!

I just installed 2.0.9 and keep getting:

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

I don't have much faith in provider (Hostway), but before I bail on them (company chose them pre-me), is there something I can do to drop these constant error messages?

I can't even make mods, more errors than loads.

THANKS!!

Steve

margarett

Hi. Welcome back ;)

I edited your post to remove your email address. You don't want to be spammed like hell, do you? :P

Is that error permanent or does it come and go?
If it's permanent, the database details in Settings.php are wrong. Check those and run repair_settings to fix it ;)
If it's random, then MySQL goes away and that's something you need to check with your host...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

srhedd

I can't get in to do anything...

margarett

So the error is permanent?

You need to go to your control panel (cPanel?) and check the database and user/password for mysql. Then run repair settings to fix it accordingly.
What is repair_settings.php?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

srhedd

Still giving error this AM. Will jump in in an hour with your suggestions. I think the server actually has a name (other than using local host...).

srhedd

Advertisement: