1.1.20 to latest with modified default theme?

Started by bigmo66, October 31, 2014, 11:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmo66

I have a forum that I'd like to upgrade and am using the default theme with quite a few graphics I added. I also have 40+ mods that I realize are not likely to work. I have a couple questions.
-Should I delete mods before upgrade?
-Will there be any of my current graphics in the default theme after upgrade?
-Is there any danger of hidden categories/forums becoming visible to all?

1.1.20 is working fantastic and after years of tweaks is really pleasant. I'm still contemplating the need to upgrade...

Thanks
Steve

Arantor

The mods and theme will need to be replaced; the changes from 1.1 to 2.0 mean no theme will 'just work'. Your existing graphics will not be used in the theme, you will need to put them in yourself.

Deleting mods before upgrade is largely unnecessarily; all the files will be replaced, removing any existing changes.

There is no danger of permissions changing unless you had mods in place that altered things.

The need to upgrade is important: 1.1.x will soon be unsupported by the team, meaning that if security holes are found, they will not be fixed. Also, if your host upgrades to PHP 5.5, things will not work properly due to the 2004-era code in SMF 1.x, which was fixed in 2.0.

bigmo66

Thanks for the reply. Will my simple portal remain in tact?

Not looking forward to the hours of rebuilding, but do like to stay current.

Arantor

You will need to get the current version of SimplePortal but it should retain all the data.

Advertisement: