News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Salvage posts

Started by Gwenwyfar, October 31, 2014, 06:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwenwyfar

Does the repair function salvage posts? I know it can get lost categories/boards/topics into the salvaged area, but does it affect posts as well? If not, is this already on any plans to be added on a future version?

Just want a confirmation, it seems it doesn't, but could be because of the posts themselves that I have, so I want to make sure before moving this onto suggestions area. I have about 98000 posts from a conversion on my database. The number is correct from the old forum, however I only have 92000 in the actual forum. I'm thinking maybe some topics got corrupted or alike and the posts are lost there, without a topic to go. Searching for the posts bu hand in all that would be undoable, and that is not even a very large amount of posts.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Arantor

Repair should find posts that aren't in topics and create new topics to contain them (which is what salvage topics are)

Gwenwyfar

Hm, maybe the posts really are corrupted in some way then. Only finding one of them to know. Thanks :)

Nothing important, just would be good to do something instead of leaving 6000 posts there to rot.

Maybe if someone misses any of their topics or posts some day I can find what's the issue :P Just gave a look through a member with 200 posts lost, didn't see anything unusual, all main necessary table cells are filled out normally.

Update: Seems maybe its just a statistics count issue or something around that. I've started to look on my own lost posts, and it says I have 2042 posts, but when I look at the last page on "see posts" it goes all the way to 2096; I did run a recount statistics already, more than once even, so no idea why that would be. Well, at least no need to try to find anything as it seems :)

Update2:
This mod helped solve the post count issue, but only about 500 posts were just off the counts. The others seem to be really lost in some way.

Update3:
Well now this just makes things stranger. Looking at some members who have lost a considerable percentage of posts, even in the original forum, they have the same amount as in smf. But the post count is higher on the original forum. A simple count issue on the original forum would make sense, but there are still 6000 extra posts on the database... no idea what happened now, whatever is it, doesn't seem to be only a smf problem  ???
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Advertisement: