News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Complete fail & no forum!!

Started by bigmo66, October 31, 2014, 08:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmo66

OK, I blew it. I extracted all the files for 2.0.9 to the public_html. Went to my site/install.php and the install started. At one point it said something about I should upgrade not do new install. Anyway it kept going and then just took a dump. I get the following trying to install..

When I try to go to my domain I get   Unknown column 'add_deny' in 'field list'

I can still get to my Cpanel & files. Can I just delete the 2.0.9 files and chill for a while to avoid a stroke?

bigmo66

I did backup my database, etc.. before I started. Is it possible to just get back to where I was before I did a thing?  So far it hasn't worked even after restoring database..

I get the following when accessing my site..

Warning: require_once(/home/tacomagu/public_html/Settings.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/tacomagu/public_html/index.php on line 44

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/tacomagu/public_html/Settings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/tacomagu/public_html/index.php on line 44

Bigguy

So did you have an existing forum and instead of uploading the upgrade files you uploaded the install files. ??

bigmo66

Quote from: Bigguy on October 31, 2014, 09:05:14 PM
So did you have an existing forum and instead of uploading the upgrade files you uploaded the install files. ??

Yep, that is how it started. Then during the install it errored and all went downhill from there. I tried deleting files in file manager then extracting upgrade instead but get stuck trying to install that also.
Man I hate to lose 7 years...

bigmo66

I also don't have a setting.php only a settings_bak.php   I must have deleted the settings.php when I was deleting the files I thought were new.

Yep, I got it good & jacked.

Bigguy

What do you get stuck on with the upgrade...did you upload all the files from the large upgrade zip file and run it.  ?? What errors are there. As for the Settings_bak.php file. I want you to download that and save it on your desktop now. It is important and should be saved if it is the original.

bigmo66

I saved the settings_bak.php to my desktop - thanks

I did upload the large upgrade and extracted it within Cpanel/file manager to public_html

I start installer and can't get past checking write screen. It wants my ftp name & password but then says can't write to settings.php
I know my database name & password and have others written down that I thought was ftp access..
I did a db restore, but that must not be the problem or fixes anything

bigmo66

bigmo66

So I tried the "install" in error, but had already lost access to my site so I can't do the upgrade either? Seems like I am stuck between a rock & a hard place..

Bigguy

Hmm, I wonder if you are having permission/ownership issues with files. Which may be something your host has to take care of.

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

bigmo66

Quote from: Bigguy on October 31, 2014, 10:20:13 PM
Hmm, I wonder if you are having permission/ownership issues with files. Which may be something your host has to take care of.

How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

I've never had any issues in the past. I bet I screwed it up by trying to do install instead of upgrade, then deleting files, etc..  At this point, I'd be tickled pink just to restore it to it's previous state, but can't seem to go back.

Thanks for your help by the way.

Bigguy

Do you have a url I can see. PM me if ya want.

bigmo66

Wow. I got my forum restored. Now I am back to where I was before I touched anything.  Do I dare download the upgrade and run it within SMF.

bigmo66

My forum is www.tacomaguitarforum.com 

I'm leery of trying to upgrade now.  If I go through packages and use the large upgrade, will I be OK? I realize I am going to lose all my add-ons, mods, graphics, etc.. but don't want to deal with massive errors. I'm too old for this and am out of beer!

Kindred

you can not do the large upgrade through the package manager....

it must be done by extracting the files overwriting all of the 1.1.x files and then running the upgrade script.

Just make sure to take a backup of both the files and the database BEFORE starting.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bigguy

As kindred said, the only way to do the upgrade is to...well, follow this:

Upgrading SMF

That should answer alot of your questions. If not we are here to help where ever you get stuck. Glad you got it restored though.

bigmo66

Quote from: Kindred on October 31, 2014, 10:40:34 PM
you can not do the large upgrade through the package manager....

it must be done by extracting the files overwriting all of the 1.1.x files and then running the upgrade script.

Just make sure to take a backup of both the files and the database BEFORE starting.

I got the backups indeed - thanks. I'll go back and read about upgrade vs install.

bigmo66

Quote from: Bigguy on October 31, 2014, 10:45:17 PM
As kindred said, the only way to do the upgrade is to...well, follow this:

Upgrading SMF

That should answer alot of your questions. If not we are here to help where ever you get stuck. Glad you got it restored though.

Yes thanks. The help is a major reason I have stayed with SMF. Funds are not really an issue and I've toyed with changing to Vxxxx  but really do like SMF.

Bigguy

Concerning the backups of the database you have....did you take them from your web hosts cpanel or through the admin panel of SMF. Please take the backups from cpanel of the database and not from the admin panel.

bigmo66

Quote from: Bigguy on October 31, 2014, 10:57:10 PM
Concerning the backups of the database you have....did you take them from your web hosts cpanel or through the admin panel of SMF. Please take the backups from cpanel of the database and not from the admin panel.

Yes, back-ups from host via C-Panel. I at least learned that from you guys.

Advertisement: