News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

how to glow username?

Started by indianhero, November 05, 2014, 09:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indianhero

Hello Guys i want to know that how to glow username like this >>

Pipke

<style>
h1 {
    text-shadow: 0 0 3px #FF0000;
}
</style>

<h1>Text-shadow with neon glow</h1>

<p><b>Note:</b> Internet Explorer 9 and earlier do not support the text-shadow property.</p>

"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

kat

Another way, pehaps?

I could be just about to post a right load of old rubbish, though...

But, in index.css, there's this:

div#upper_section div.user
{
width: 50%;
float: left;
overflow: auto;
}
div#upper_section div.user p
{
margin: 0 1em 1em 0;
padding: 0;
}
div#upper_section div.user ul
{
margin: 0;
padding-left: 10px;
}
div#upper_section div.user ul li
{
margin-bottom: 2px;
}

Could you add this, to that?

http://www.htmlgoodies.com/html5/tutorials/how-to-create-glowing-text-using-css3.html

indianhero

where to add this code? is there any package installer for this?

kat

Why would there be a package?

As I said, that code (If you're talking about what I put), can just added to index.css

Taking this to be a "block of code"...

div#upper_section div.user p
{
margin: 0 1em 1em 0;
padding: 0;
}

I'd assume you need to add the other code between blocks. I've not tried it, myself. So, it'd be wise to keep a copy of the original file, as a backup. If you do that, you can fiddle round and see what happens. :)

I always think that what one has to go through, for what's such a minor thing, is more effort than it's worth, myself, to be honest.

Pipke's code would go in some php file, I guess. Which one and where, I really don't know, I'm afraid.

Kindred

no...   what Pipke posted is actually useless...

this is the only part that matters
text-shadow: 0 0 3px #FF0000;

and that has to be added in index.css for the CSS that controls the username display in posts (use firefox+firebug to determine specifically what CSS that is).
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ARG01

Actually, any glow css should be added to this section in index.css to achieve what the OP is desiring.

.poster h4, .poster h4 a

In the default theme the actual code to look for is:

.poster h4, .poster h4 a {
    color: #c06002;
}
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Pipke

What i posted was a demo of how it works and wich css code you should use for it, but to me it looks like your a beginner, so ill explain a bit more what you must do to get this done.

i'm assuming you're using the default theme?

open the file /Themes/default/css/index.css wich you can do in admin settings edit current theme or download (ftp) it with the software programm Filezilla(free) and open it then with the software called Notepad++(free)

search around line 1951 you will find this code:

.poster h4, .poster h4 a
{
}

edit/change it to

.poster h4, .poster h4 a
{
   text-shadow: 0 0 4px #800000;
}

then save in admin settings or upload it back to the server with filezilla.

meanings of the code:

4px is the radius of the shadow, if you set the to 5 or 6  it gets bigger and to 2 or 3 it gets smaller etc etc.
#800000 is the color in hex and is now set to red you can change/find more colors for editting by clicking here
the first 0 is the position of the horizontal shadow.
the second 0 is the position of the vertical shadow.

Hope this will help you a bit more, good luck with your first (i think) edit to your SMF theme.
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Kindred

although it is POSSIBLE to edit files in the smf admin interface, it is NOT the recommended way to make file edits.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Steve

Listen to Kindred. Use ftp to do edits. You can download two copies, edit one, upload that back up. That way you'll still have the original file if you make a mistake or the edit doesn't do what you expected.
DO NOT pm me for support!

indianhero

ok i have edited the index.css and uploded it what to do now?

ARG01

Quote from: indianhero on November 12, 2014, 12:55:15 AM

Refresh your browser.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

indianhero

Quote from: SimpMode on November 12, 2014, 01:23:24 AM
Quote from: indianhero on November 12, 2014, 12:55:15 AM

Refresh your browser.

dude its glowing the all users name i want to glow only some user name  :-[

Pipke

Quote from: indianhero on November 05, 2014, 09:40:43 AM
Hello Guys i want to know that how to glow username like this >>

He DUDE, ask your questions better, to me your not asking for details like i want to glow only some usernames (wich must be certain usergroups i think then). Also i find that if you want help from members and call them Dudes, is rude. Maybe ask your things you want at a nicer level?

indianhero

Ok Bro Calm Down and please tell me that how to glow only some username or usergroup  :)

Kindred

well, that is not what you asked for in the first place...

and what you are NOW asking for is actually moderately to very complicated and involves logical/conditional CODE changes, not just CSS changes
Слaва
Украинi

Gwenwyfar

IF you also want to use specific colors for the membergroup you want to change and/or is using that mod that makes all user links the color you chose for the group, then it is easily done with css. Otherwise, then exactly what Kindred said.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Advertisement: