How to move SMF to another installation directory?

Started by sparty, November 05, 2014, 05:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparty

Sorry dont wanna bump this but I dont really want to start a new topic. I want to know how to move my forum from my root directory to a subfolder ? I am going to install a wordpress site in my toor directory. Do I move create a directory in root called forum and move the files over and then do the settings ? Where to I create the subfolder ? Also do I copy all the files from root  to the subfolder ?

margarett

Topic split. You posted 5 hours ago and only now I've seen it. That's what happens on a topic that is already marked as solved ;)

For starters: there are known issues when you run SMF inside a WP subfolder. WP (through some plugins) takes over the whole place and some users reported issues in this configuration.
Others run it smoothly. You'll find out soon :P

Anyway, create a "forum" folder under your root. Then move (via your host's File Manager) all SMF files and folders to that folder. Upload and run repair_settings to adjust the paths and it's done ;)
What is repair_settings.php?

Don't forget to remove repair_settings after using it ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

sparty

Thanks , Just one more thing , when you say "all SMF files and folders" , do you mean all the content in the root folder where smf is currently installed ? Off course then without the newly created forum subfolder itself.

Im just a little unclear what is the smf files ? My site as previously stated is installed in the root directory , should I take all the contents of that root directory ?

margarett

Well, it is possible that you have extra files or folders not used by SMF... You can check an install package to check what SMF uses by default (except for the install* files).

Can you list the current folders and files?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: